I have an odd breast feeding problem, any suggestions!!

Just recently my one month old daughter has been tugging at my left breast really hard over and over again. Last night, after I fed her her last feeding of the night she was still no where near full. It took me awhile to realize it for sure since why would I not have enough for her. And she was once again tugging hard on my left side. I had to give her a frozen bottle I have stored and she gobbled down two more ounces. Today out of curiosity I pumped and my left side did not produce much at all. Also when I get the "LET DOWN" feeling I feel it much more on my right side then my left side. I do not think its my diet! I take prenatal and eat well. Should I start supplementing with formula? And has this happened to anyone or hear of it?

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 7:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sometimes they prefer one side or the other, and sometimes one breast produces more than the other. Just keep trying on the left side, and you can switch her to the right once she's drained it. Diet wouldn't affect only one breast. DON'T supplement! That will only make the problem worse. Pump in between feedings on your left side, too, to get the supply up. As you likely know, breastfeeding is all about supply and demand. So the more you drain, the more it will produce. You can even pump your left side while she nurses on the right.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:44 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• if you keep nursing her on the left side, eventually the left side will produce more milk.
    aguerra13

Answer by aguerra13 at 7:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• We're not symmetrical people, so you probably have one kidney that doesn't function as well as the other... should you be on dialysis? It's pretty much the same suggestion, really.

Supplementing with formula is how to stop nursing --probably a lot sooner than you want to, because anything that stops your breasts from being stimulated (by your baby's suckling) to produce more will result in you producing less, period.

Your body can feed twins with ease, so even if she completely stops nursing on the left, she'll get lots of milk. The amount you can express is no indication at all of how much your breasts are making --suction just doesn't work that well.

Also, upending a bottle over a baby's face means she can swallow or drown --unless she's having to work to get the milk, she may not have been *that* hungry --bottle-feeding has correct technique and over-filling a baby's tiny stomach is dangerous. Could she turn away?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:45 PM on Dec. 2, 2010