what age to teach about predators

At what age do you teach your young that noone is suppossed to touch your privates? and if someone does to tell mommy or daddy?

scanamey77

Asked by scanamey77 at 7:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• We started around a year. As soon as they were able to identify all their body parts.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:31 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I would agree with Sabrina, and Linda... except that I taught my DD she has a vagina not just a vulva.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:53 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• It's not to young to start up a talk as early as elementary school.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 7:32 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Using correct language should begin at birth. Boys have penises, not pee-pees, or willies or any other silly name, and girls have vulvas.
    They both have nipples and anuses.

It helps to start early so by the time they have half a chance of understanding the words, you've stopped blushing saying them.

Children who know the names and functions of their body parts may be just as likely to be assaulted, they are astronomically more likely to report the assault so it's a one-time experience instead of a decade-long one.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I would say when they are able to toddle around. You need to watch them every minute, if yo uare able. I agree with Sabrina...when they know body parts you can teach them who and who can't touch them. It is a scary world out there...ya never know who is or who is not a bad person. Just let them know that no matter what that person said to them about not telling...it is OK to tell. We have to keep our kids safe. Good question!!
    ErinsMomma1

Answer by ErinsMomma1 at 7:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• well that puts me at ease cuz I started talking to dd at 2 years old and was worried it was to young. I dont leave her unattended with strangers but they say it not always a stranger and it scares the crap out of me that someone could do that to my baby:(
    scanamey77

Comment by scanamey77 (original poster) at 8:59 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• We use proper words as well (except for anus, I say but or butthole, mostly because it's never occurred to me to use anus, but we say penis, vulva, and nipples). But, everytime I try to talk to DD (2) about not letting someone touch her, I feel it gets really confusing. Mommy, Daddy, Grandma, and Granny have all touched her there to wipe poop out. So, it's like, don't let anyone touch you there except for Mommy, Daddy, Grandma.... I'm not sure how to phrase it effectively. Additionally, I haven't really designated those as private parts since she is naked so often (at home) and because I'm not sure I want to single them out as needing to always be covered. But, so far, I'm not too worried. In the times that I am not with her, it's either one of her three grandmas or her Dad with her. Maybe by the time she is somewhere without one of the few adults I trust, she'll be old enough for me to explain it better.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:34 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• ummm. by 1! I mean if thy can understand you, you need to teach them
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:56 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I haven't taught my son yet just because I've been a stay at home mom with him most of his life. The only people allowed to be alone with him are his father and my mother. No one else. I will start here soon because he is about to turn 3 and in a few months we will be putting him in a daycare. I was sexually abused as a kid so I've always been very very careful who is allowed around my son and everyone is carefully watched. Honestly, the first 2 years of his life when I was a stay at home mom.. NO ONE was allowed alone with him but me.
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 1:14 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I have been telling them since I started teaching them about their privates. Nothing scary. Just that no one should touch there except mommy or daddy giving you a bath or the doctor.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 9:18 PM on Dec. 6, 2010