how to do a budget? Tired of living pay check to pay check

DH is the only one that works because if I worked I would have to pay a sitter and that would be nearly my whole check and DH is on call 24.7 so I can't count on him. Here is our bills

car insurance 50.00
house payment 400.00
gas is behind we pay 50.00 a month trying to pay more it is up to 3,200.00
water is also behind trying to catch up it is 300.00 normally it is around 50 or 60.00
electric is also behind of 200.00 we are trying to catch that up it normally is about 50.00
gas for the van is about 40.00 a week
we pay 32.00 a month for DD's ballet
internet is 24.00
we don't have a home phone I have a cell phone that is 45.00 unlimited everything a month
then whatever we have left goes on groceries

DH's brings good money home in the summer, but not so much in the winter he is bringing around 400.00 or just under that a week right now

We have 2 kids and I am pregnant just found out so I would like to try getting this stuff cought up before the baby comes which is in augest. The money he gets back in January is going on new clothes for us since we all need clothes in a bad way lol. DH does get bonus' checks if he does so much work that month, but he can't gerantee it. How would you do your bills a week or month to catch up before baby comes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• With all the bills you listed you need to make 741.00 a month not including groceries (paying minimum as you listed). Your husband brings home 1600 a month, leaving 859.00 for catch up and groceries. If you cut coupons and shop for the sales you could get by with 100 to 70 a week for groceries. So if you take 100 out for groceries you are left with 459 for catch up. The water and electric is the most easy to catch up to so if you put all the extra to electric you will be caught up next month and have an extra 200 to put towards water. Once that is caught up put extra towards gas. And once summer comes...that is when you should really try for the long term budget. Just take a standard bill example electric is 50 a month. Put 75 a month during the good months and soon you will have a postive amount that will carry you over during the rough winter months. Do that with all your bills and you will not be strapped!
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 7:45 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Check out the Dave Ramsay book from your local library.
    Call your car insurance company see if there are any discounts you might be missing out on..
    Do you work? If you have trouble finding childcare you could interview as a child care provider for a local gym, a lot of times they allow you to have your kids with you as you work...I'm not sure if it depends how many you have...?
    Another good book is America's Cheapest Family by the Economedes spl?
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 7:35 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• After you've done the budget, you would be surprised how each small expenditure adds up. Try to buy your groceries in bulk, freeze, can, don't buy processed foods.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:38 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• you have to have more than one job toaday or win the lottery

Not always true, DH works 1 job and I'm a SAHM and we do just fine.
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 7:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• when I said before about having the extra 200 after paying the one bill you would have 100 after paying cable and the other bill. Put the 100 towards the next bill. Once those two are caught up you can then put the 400 to gas. Sounds like you can do it but it is close that the amount you make is the amount going out for bills. Do you have a commitment with cable? You could alway do without the cable and get netflix for 10.00 a month. We have a commitment so it stinks that we have to pay no matter what!! GOOD LUCK!!
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 8:21 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Write a budget, Stick to it by using cash. If it's not in the budget, don't spend it. Then take your first $200 and go buy used furniture on craigslist and return your rent a center stuff. Do you realize that is $200-$250 a month!!!! That is just crazy.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:40 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• After they are all cought up I am opening a checking account for just bill money and asking DH for 300 a week, but need help catching it up

Whaaaaat? Here's how you do it. He hands you his paycheck, you deposit it then give him his weekly cash. Then you pay the bills, take out cash for food and whatever else you need, then send the rest to your debt.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:11 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Too much information to share here, so I'll just give you the link to an excellent tv host's basic information so you can use the tools she has on her website:

http://www.gailvazoxlade.com/resources/guide_to_building_budget.html
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:34 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Watch WeTv's "Downsized". it's about a family that lost their home. They go on a tight budget. It's very good.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 7:39 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Wow how did you guys get so far behind?: How do you even have utilities? And IMO you NEED a job.
    Anyway, list ALL expenses then list all income.
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 7:41 PM on Dec. 2, 2010