Does anyone else think that "home-made" things aren't all that cheap?

So, this year, for my extended family, I've decided to do an assortment of home-made gifts, thinking that would be cute. After buying everything to make the stuff, I've realized I could have just went out bought them all individual gifts, lol! I thought that stuff was supposed to be cheap! Oh well, I guess it's still a cute idea, right? :)

For example, I'm crocheting a blanket. This thing is going to end up costing around $40. I could have just bought a blanket for that, lol. But..it's still fun to know that I actually made something.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 7:54 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• nope making crafts is expensive. I also crochet and each ball of "nice" yarn is between 4 and 6 dollars. Sooo I make small things LOL Right now I am crocheting for our upcoming baby in may and with one ball of yarn I can make a side tie t-shirt and a diaper cover. for four dollars I also got 6 side snap t-shirts at the thrift store. was it cheaper? No! but the shirts I make i will cherish, hand down or maybe even give to someone else after I am done but I already know they wont appreciate the 2 days it takes me to hand make each piece so i will probably just save for grandkids (Long from Now!!)
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 9:02 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• You are absolutely right. But once you start making gifts, you learn to shop the sales to get your supplies, and then you really can save money. The getting started is often pretty expensive.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:57 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Yes, not cheap, but the fact that it is handmade by you is truly priceless!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:56 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• True, but sometimes it's just fun to make the stuff, and it means more =)
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 7:56 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I love homemade things and think its great its something made from the heart. I would love if someone gave me homemade gift. I shows me that is a sentiment that i will treasure forever. My sisinlaw mad me a braclet I loved it.
    briannaann

Answer by briannaann at 7:57 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• yes sometimes , i mean if u have to buy the stuff to make it it is. sometimes its cheaper to buy it
    bekkaboo89

Answer by bekkaboo89 at 7:57 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• It *can* be cheaper --as long as you're not making clothes, which are a lot more expensive than buying ready-made until you're into couture.

Pure art tends to be cheaper to make than buy --you can get 10 canvasses or backing board and enough paint to do 100 for under $200 --a lot less than that if you stretch your own canvas or prepare your own boards.

I'm thinking of giving paintings again this year --haven't for years...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:57 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Nope, I have rarely found "home made" to be cheaper, at least when you are starting out...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I figured that out this year when my mom started making things for me and my sister. We're getting quilts and she has already spent a lot of money on the material to do it and I have no idea the number of hours it's taking. Every time I call her she is working on one of our quilts. I will agree though that homemade gifts are priceless. I love all the things she has made for my kids and for me.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 8:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• If you really think about it, it's not as expensive as you might think. Sure, you could buy a cheaper ready-made version of your homemade item, but if you were going to pay someone else to custom make an item for a family member, it would be MUCH more expensive. Add to that the time, thought & effort that you put into your homemade gifts and your recipients will know how truly loved & blessed they are to have you.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2010