Will beer help bring in or increase my milk supply?

First time breastfeeder here....my milk has been really slow to come in. I have been told to drink one can of beer and that will help bring in my milk or increase the supply. Is this true?
Also, if I try this...wouldn't the beer come in thru my breast milk/colostrum? Do I continue to feed my son regular or do I suppliment for one feeding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• can of worms

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Um...no???
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 8:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• What do you mean 'slow'?

Some women never get engorged at all --and good breastfeeding habits make this possible. Nothing you drink or eat has any hope of bringing in your milk if you don't nurse your baby. Often. All day

The more you supplement, the less milk you'll make. Period.

Beer is never recommended for nursing mothers, particularly not while they're nursing for the same reason alcohol is never recommended as a beverage for babies: it's in your milk in under 5 seconds after it's in your mouth and you don't even have to swallow.

Stout is sometimes recommended in small quantities because it is high in B vitamins, low in alcohol (relative to beer) and may relax a tense mother... who could probably find a healthier way to learn to relax, anyhow.

Beer will not come through your breasts, unless you have had some very strange plastic surgery --anymore than it comes out your bladder. But alcohol passes into milk instantly.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Why do you feel as though you are not producing?

Brewers yeast while something that can increase production is not intense enough in beer to help. What I have observed, and this is a personal opinion, seems to show it works because it relaxes mom and allows everything to flow (literally and figuratively). When you drink less then one beer everything should be fine. Supplementing only leads to more problems. If you are breastfeeding ALWAYS feed from the breast or pump at every feeding.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 8:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• "Beer will not come through your breasts, unless you have had some very strange plastic surgery --anymore than it comes out your bladder. But alcohol passes into milk instantly."

HAHA...that is what I meat. Sorry but I'm not an idiot!

I have heard this from alot of other older moms and grandma's...apparently an old wives tale. Just seeing if anyone else has tried this or heard about it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Alcohol decreases milk supply by about 30 percent for about 24 hours so if your supply isn't solidly established drinking isn't your best idea.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 8:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Alcohol does NOT hit your supply the second you drink it... seriously? It hits your milk when it hits your blood stream, which is typically 30-60 minutes after consumption. A strategically timed glass of beer will help your supply, IME. I know they say it doesn't, but I could certainly tell a difference the first time I had a beer (which was a week post pardum? I think...). I woke up soaked. And my friends called it, too because they'd all experienced the same thing.

That all said... what makes you think you're having supply issues or your milk is taking a while to come in? How old is your babe? How many diapers is he/she making per day?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Whoever told you this is right. Someone told my mom to do it to increase her milk supply when she had me. She tried it and she said it was horrible, it made he terrible engorged and she said it was painfull. Dont try it.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 9:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• i made tea with hops for one baby.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• hun bm rakes 3-7 days to come in all your baby needs now is colostrum, another thing is dont suplement at all, nurse baby on demand. and watch diapers. how old is the baby?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:28 PM on Dec. 2, 2010