My Dr says I have gestational diabetes, but my home tests come back great!

I went to the dr a week and a half ago to have my glucose screening and the nurse said it was high 210 so she took it again 3 minutes later and it was 195 So he had me come back a week later for the glucose tolerance test.

So I go in at 9 Am and I hadn't ate since 12 Am, anyways she sticks me the first time and told me I failed the fasting, I was at 110

So I sit there for the 3 hours and get stuck the 3 times and then the nurse calls me back for the results.

the Dr didn't even come in to tell me the test results, his nurse did, She said I failed all the tests By about 15 points every time.

I was upset and when I expressed my concern for a c-section and type 2 diabetes (because this they both could be a result)

she told me not to look stuff up on the internet, and that's about all she said other then telling me I needed to come back in 2 weeks and that a nutritionist was going to give me a call for an appointment and that I needed to pick up a glucose monitor at the pharmacy.

When I went out in the hall, the dr was sitting there and ask the nurse if I passed she told him no.
then I felt like he was attacking me because he said it "wasn't about me" it was about the baby and that I needed to follow his directions so my baby didn't end up in the NICU.
I know he heard me telling the nurse that I absolutely do not want a c-section.
I hate my dr. in the first place because he 's cold heartless and doesent listen when you express a concern, but now I just want to change ASAP.

So anyways, I got my blood meter and I did my own test, I drank a whole cup and a half of white sugar in warm water and ate a candy bar and waited an hour and then tested myself. My test came back 123 and after one hour it should be under 140.
I have been keeping a log of when I eat and have been tracking my blood sugar every hour and 2 hours after eating, and also my fasting level, and every time it comes back really normal, even if I stuff myself and eat pie, cider or whatever... it won't spike like they were saying it was.

I REALLY think that this dr is trying to milk my insurance, I mean I don't understand what else would be going on here. even the nutritionist that he is sending me to is with the hospital (Cox in Springfield, MO)

Does anyone have any thought on this? I mean I don't want this dr to think he is going to take me for a ride or a C-section just because he wants more money from insurance.

mach1racer

Asked by mach1racer at 8:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The diet that your nutritionist recommends is probably healthier than drinking sugar water and eating candy anyhow. What a remarkably silly thing to do...

If you believe your doctor is defrauding the insurance, report him... then go find another doctor (which the ins. will probably want you to do anyhow, just to see if he is) and ask for the test to be re-done.

Don't remark on the procedure of the test, because that is how it is done for everyone. And you're only at risk for c-sec if you're diabetic and (can't* get it under control (because that results in massive babies who cannot be born naturally).
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Well just keep monitoring it at home and watching your diet. I would find a different doc or better yet midwife ASAP. It doesn't really matter if you do have GD or not as long as you keep your blood sugar levels in control which it sounds like you are.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I have a well researched document about the gestational diabetes issue that I can email you if you're interested in medically supported information. The whole gestational diabetes thing is way over-blown. The risks of TRUE diabetes during pregnancy are serious, but the risks of gestational diabetes can be summarized in "your baby might be bigger than average and then we won't be able to boss you around about how to labor without putting you at risk for a cesarean." :) Message me with your email address and I'll dig up that document for you.

PS - different doctors use different numbers/levels for labeling Mamas with GD, and the numbers are actually LOWER than non-pregnant women. Which is dumb, because your body is supposed to have a slightly increased blood sugar level so that more energy is available to make and transfer to baby.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 8:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• @ LindaClement whats so silly about testing myself? the sugar water is no different than that garbage the dr makes us drink.

The reason I did it is because I dident feel like I was being told the truth and obviously I'm not if my at home glucose meter is teling me that my sugar is 100% normal everytime I test.

And the baby doesent have to be "MASSIVE" for them to want to do a C-section, they concider 8 lbs 13 oz a large baby...
    mach1racer

Comment by mach1racer (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• It honestly just sounds like you do not like your doctor and are trying to discredit him. I would highly doubt that he is making it up.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:55 AM on Dec. 5, 2010