What are some natural ways to help get labor moving when you are near or around your due date? adult content

Obviously I know there are chemical inductions, but I don't want to get involved with that again when I don't have to. So what are some natural ways, such as walking a lot, and sex, that help induce a natural labor?

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 8:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Orgasms and nipple stimulation release oxytocin, Pitocin (the drug that they use in a hospital to induce labor) is the synthetic form of oxytocin. I read that for some reason, self-induced orgasms release more oxytocin than intercourse. The other benefit to intercourse, though, is that the semen has prostaglandins which will ripen your cervix. If you did like I did, though, and spent a few weeks taking evening primrose oil, your cervix may already be ripened.

What I did to induce my labor: I became a little addicted, I'll be honest...but I spent an entire day running up and down stairs, walking, and "self-inducing orgasms". I had also taken evening primrose oil since my 36th week.
    HeartsCombined

Answer by HeartsCombined at 11:27 AM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Nipple stimulation. when the nipples are stimulated it releases oxytocin into your blood stream that acts as a natural way to start contractions of the uterus=]
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 11:23 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Lots and lots of walking!!!!

Answer by older at 8:15 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• drink water, walk and sex is all i know of
    bekkaboo89

Answer by bekkaboo89 at 8:15 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Lots of walking and sex! That is what I did.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:20 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I wound up taking castor oil twice as a last resort before a medical induction and it worked for me both times. I would not have tried it if it was not suggested by my doctor. It was not that bad. I got things moving and did not dehydrate me. You just have to make sure you have enough fluids. Is it for everyone? No but I was ready to try anything over pitocin.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:45 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Castor oil works by causing intestinal cramping (read: diarrhea), with the hope that it will get your uterus to start contracting. When it stimulates your bowels, it also stimulates the bowels of the fetus, greatly increasing the the risk of yoir baby having a bowel movement (meconium) in utero. It's not the safest method.
    Walking and sex are among the most effective, as is nipple stimulation (but it requires constant stimulation). Drinking raspberry leaf tea is also good for stimulating contractions.
    Ultimately, Baby will come when Baby is ready. All of these methods can only help "encourage" Baby along, perhaps giving that last little nudge needed to send your uterus over the edge and into labor. If your body isn't ready, they won't work.
    Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:54 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I've heard caster oil isn't always the best alternative, that it can cause the baby to also have experience bowel problems. Which was why primrose oil was recommended over caster oil
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:48 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Castor oil stimulates the bowels. Bowel stimulation produces prostaglandins which help in contractions of smooth muscles of our body and the uterus. It doesn't pass into the babies digestive tract so how can it cause meconium? When we see meconium it is generally seen in mothers who are overdue so what is the relation of castor oil to meconium . It is obviously something that you would have to research on their own but there is not correlation between the two. I had tried nipple stimulation for hours with a pump, walked miles, evening primrose, sex, stripping membranes, red raspberry leaf tea, and blue cohosh. All of these were suggested by my midwife. Nothing worked until I tried castor oil. I was scheduled to be induced the next day after being two weeks late. My fluid was low. I would have tried anything at that point. It worked and helped me avoid any medical interventions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I can't add anything else then what the other ladies have said.
    1Giovanni

Answer by 1Giovanni at 6:40 PM on Dec. 6, 2010