How do you get prepared for a deployment?

My boyfriend leaves for Iraq in less than a month and Im unsure and very nervous on what to expect. We also have 2 little boys that probably wont know how to deal with it either. Any suggestions?

jesiv

Asked by jesiv at 8:14 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• Get married. You have kids, and he's leaving. Have you discussed getting married? If so, do it now. Other then that, IDK. You aren't married.

While he's gone, talk about him all the time. Let the kids talk with him every chance you can. Let them write to him. Let them send him pictures. Have pictures of him up.

I say get married, if you have discussed it, because there is so much offered to the families of deployed soldiers. And with kids, you could surely use it!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 8:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• im very sorry to hear that , my thoughts and prayers are with u. maybe u can have a freind or family member stay temporarily to help out , church , prayer , family and friends.
    bekkaboo89

Answer by bekkaboo89 at 8:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• wow that has to be a hard thing to be having to get ready for. Can you maybe take a whole weekend and let it be just for your family. We have a friend who is a reserve officer. He has gone over 2x now we always have a going away party for him.
    preciouschild

Answer by preciouschild at 8:19 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My husband is also gearing up for deployment (our first). His unit should have and FRG (family readiness group) that will be there to help you. I am part of his and we are there for you to call and talk to, we answer questions and to connect you with the right person should your furnance quit while he is away. I am very nervous about my husband leaving and we have a 16 & 17 yr. He will be here for our daughter's graduation but may not be back in time for our other daughters.

I am here anytime you need someone to talk to. Please don't hesitate to hit me up.
    armywife1993

Answer by armywife1993 at 8:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Things offered: we have trips, paid for. Deployed spouses dinners. Free childcare. Lots of stuff. It will help your boys, they can spend time with lots of other kids in the same boat as them.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 8:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• You start talkling to the kids now. Have Dad record himself reading them some stories they love. Start preparing a calendar they can mark off every day. Make sure the boys have ID cards and you know how to access the MTF for care if you don't go to an offbase provider. You tell yourself "I can do this" Is it hard? Yeah, it is...you spend a week being upset and crying..no more. Then you get your tail in gear. If you don't work get a hobby, go to a gym. Keep your mind and your body busy. When you write him..do not write and tell him about problems at home until they have a solution. IE: don't write and say the car won't start and the washer is leaking. They just worry about it because they aren't there to fix it..and they have a lot more important things to think about. You wait until the car is fixed..and the washer is fixed to say "The washer started leaking last week, it was only a hose and it's fixed." Cont'd
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:21 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Thanks! We have talked a little about it, but that's his decision. I can't force him to purpose so IDK!
    jesiv

Comment by jesiv (original poster) at 8:21 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• You don't keep things from them...you just don't give them reason to worry if possible.
    GrnEyedGrandma

• I'm not sure the FRG will help, her not being a wife. Although, they have kids, so, they should...OP, find out about that! My hubby will deploy for the second time next year. We can chat, too, if you'd like. There's much more to it then can be written about here. And lots of stuff I can't just think of right now. If you have questions, you can ask me.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 8:23 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Thanks everyone!!
    jesiv

Comment by jesiv (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2010