What do you think is the ideal age to tell you daughter about the birds and bees?

I have an 11 year old daughter and she isn't really into boys alot, but I want her to know it is OK and better to say NO!!! I also want her to know she can always talk to me about anything.

SheriesMom

Asked by SheriesMom at 8:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• 11 or 12 would be good or when she gets her period.

Answer by older at 8:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Our children are well educated about that kind of thing by 4 or 5... I would never wait longer than that... By the time I was your daughters age I was already experimenting with the neighbor kids... I would prefer my kids know what they need to know before they go looking for it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My 7yo knows everything she needs to know before we need to have the birth control talk. I have been talking to her about sex for years and she knows she can come to me with any questions. I know by 12 years old I knew most of what I know about sex today.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:27 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• i say 9 or 10
    bekkaboo89

Answer by bekkaboo89 at 8:40 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I'll be starting at 3-4, maybe 5. If she's 11 and she's been in school, she probably knows it all by now. I think that with any life issue, the earlier you address it, the better.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:44 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I Started telling my daughter when she was 8. I did not start telling her too soon but when ever you feel like she is ready tell her just like in a general conversation. I dont think that its to late or do I think that she knows everything already because you would be amazed at how much she dont know.
    inlovewith4

Answer by inlovewith4 at 9:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I was about 5 or 6 when I got "the talk"....my mom was having a hysderectomy (SP??) and I wanted to know all about it and what was going to happen and what they were going to do and why, so she just took the opportunity to give me the whole 9 yards. I was old enough to comprehend it, I even read the book she gave me about sex lol
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 9:57 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I will tell you keep talking and talking. Let her know how you feel. Ask her questions about how she feels. I usually do this when I have the kid trapped in the car. Just keep talking you are the best source of info.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:25 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Our pediatrician said 10 at the latest. You never know when that first period will arrive.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 1:11 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Starting at like 5 or 6. It should be an ongoing conversation that gets more indepth as the child matures. Be open and honest.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:48 PM on Dec. 4, 2010