Tweens and Facebook

Do you allow your tween to have a FB page? I was in Ohio for Thanksgiving and I was amazed at DH's cousins who allow their tweens to have FB pages. I think the kids thought I was totally an uncool mom. lol. IMO its too young. DD doesn't even have email yet.

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 8:26 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I guess I'm an uncool mom as well because I don't let my daughter have a FB page either. She's only 10 so she's too young for one right now and she really does not need one anyway. I've told her that when she turns 13 we can talk about her getting one but not before that.
    JennMmomof1

Answer by JennMmomof1 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• When my kids want them, they can have them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I don't allow my 10 year old to have one. I am considering it, but if he has one, I will have the password, and monitor it very closely.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 8:49 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Both my 12 and 11 yr olds have FB. I know their user name and passwords and I as well have a FB account. We are each others friends on FB so I see all wall entries. The best part is the computer is in my bedroom and we all three get on each others accounts as a family. My DH as well will be with us looking at posts. We look at each others friend requests messages etc..... I'm even friends with a lot of her friends so it's easier to monitor. But to each their own everyone's parenting style is different and my girls haven't done anything to lose my trust.
    suelo74

Answer by suelo74 at 8:53 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• They are supposed to be 13 according to FaceBook policy. So, tweens are too young.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 1:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Why not? Because there are a bunch of sexual predators. Do you really want your kids lives posted for the world to see?
    SalemWitchChild

Comment by SalemWitchChild (original poster) at 8:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My 6 yo and 7yo's have one. They only talk to family members and very close family friends. I monitor their pages daily to weed out friend requests and check their messages for appropriateness. I have no issues with them being on and I have never found anything I would not want on there. They each only have about ten friends and it is mostly grandparents and aunts and uncles.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• i feel like once you get to high school go for it but you better believe that will be the first thing taken away lol
    anything under then that i dont feel ok with, i mean i post things i wouldnt want my kids to see...."momma finished playing santa" what if a kid that believed in santa still got their heart crushed. or like previously posted sexual predators
    sami07

Answer by sami07 at 9:05 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Ok here is the thing My kids have FB pages but they only talk to family an friends. No secrets I see all that they do
    inlovewith4

Answer by inlovewith4 at 9:07 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Oh I also wanted to add that you can find sexual predators any where! In schools you hear stories on the news about teachers sexually abusing students,church, fathers, mothers uncles, must I go on. We just have to educate our children on the dangers and be active in what ever they do!
    suelo74

Answer by suelo74 at 9:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2010