wearing not-too-sporty sneakers to a interview...told to wear "business casual"....

The lady I spoke to on the phone told me to wear shoes w/ rubber soles at my interview tomorrow because I will be touring the facility (home depot distribution warehouse). I own high heels, I own platforms, I own open back clogs and open toe flats. I own boots, but they are Dr. Martin Knee Highs. I own converse shoes, and then I have a pair of New balance sneakers. The sneakers IMO are the closest to what they want. Open back and open toe are a bad idea if I'm going to tour a warehouse. The sneakers are dark blue and black, nothing too crazy sporty about them. I'd be wearing black pants and a nice turtleneck......opinions? yea or nay on the sneakers? I cant afford to go out and buy a brand new pair of loafers or flats and the thrift stores have such a small selection for my size feet.....

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 8:52 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• Go with the shoe that's the most neutral. Also, pants and a turtleneck is not business causal, it's just casual. You should always wear a suit to an interview, not matter the job type. If you don't own a suit, go with a skirt and nice blouse. Over dress for interviews not underdress.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:29 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I'm an HR Director, mind you it's not in a warehouse, but still.... If I were you I'd wear heels and bring a small bag with socks and sneakers to put on for the tour part of the interview. BTW... good luck!!!

good luck

FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 9:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Personally, I'd probably do the clogs over sneakers.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I would probably go with the boots and pull my pant legs over them if they have rubber soles. Sneakers are not business casual in any way, but if they are your only rubber soles you may need to go with them.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 8:56 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Sneakers are not business casual. But shoes are that big of a deal unless they are way too obvious. Like too colorful or too high or too dirty, etc (flashy shoes)
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 8:56 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• the clogs arent a good idea because they are open back and the job is for a warehouse. it's a safety issue more than anything. If I was to slip I'd slip right out of the clogs. if I wore open toe, if something fell on my feet YOUCH! I guess the dr. martins is the best choice. If I get the job viva la shoe store!!!
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 9:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• feelinyummy my friend recommended the same exact thing! she also joked and said it would show them I have good oganizational skills lol
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 9:11 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• "feelinyummy my friend recommended the same exact thing! she also joked and said it would show them I have good oganizational skills lol"

I agree... it also says you are resourceful and have good judgement.

FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 10:14 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I dont have the proper shoes to wear with a skirt, at least the shoes they want me to wear...I just have high heels. I'm not touring a warehouse with high heels. So pants it is. I cant afford brand new shoes at this time.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 11:44 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Sounds like you received some good advice above - good luck!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 3:01 PM on Dec. 3, 2010