Whats wrong with celebrating the ACTS of Jesus by atheists?

Christmas to many is about the birth of their God. I understand and respect that. But to many others it's about family gatherings, showing our loves for others and caring for those who don't have as much as we do.
Are these not the acts by which your Lord Jesus lived his life? Giving, loving, caring? WHy wouldn't you want others to celebrate that?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 8:54 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Because apparently if you don't believe as they do you don't deserve to be happy or have any joy in your life...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:56 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Why would I care? In all honesty Christ wasn't really born on Christmas anyway.

MommyTanisha

Answer by MommyTanisha at 8:57 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I truly can't imagine why it's ever an issue. I certainly wouldn't be offended if people in other countries decided that Thanksgiving sounded fun and decided to celebrate it too.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 8:59 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Who is having an issue with that?
    I seriously see no reason why people can't celebrate Christmas if they want to.
    And yes, I am a Christian, I was baptized in March.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 9:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I don't believe there's anything wrong with it. There are many who don't believe in the divine parts of Jesus' story, but who believe that he represents something worth hearing - those teachings of loving kindness and compassion, etc. I don't believe one must be a "believer" in order to acknowledge these aspects of his life, his story, or to apply them to their own lives or celebration/practice...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• The love and peace are being lost.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:05 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Oh, and even the whole Jesus thing aside, I don't think there's anything wrong with anyone taking the time to be more cheerful, kind, generous, etc, and I don't believe that Jesus would exclude anyone from partaking or participating in the holiday, ect.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:05 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Who was it who didn't want you to celebrate Christmas? That's the first time I've heard of that.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 9:07 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Exactly bandgeek... I've said on numerous occasions that while I may not believe that Jesus was the son of some deity, if more people modeled their behavior after the way he was supposed to have been, the world would be a better place.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 9:07 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• " I've said on numerous occasions that while I may not believe that Jesus was the son of some deity, if more people modeled their behavior after the way he was supposed to have been, the world would be a better place. "

DITTO THIS^^^^
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 9:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2010