moms with a 4 year old with add/adhd

hey ladies do you have any discipline techniques that work with your child that has add/adhd my son has add and my discipline techniques dont work all the time. i count to 3, ive read the book 1-2-3 magic use techniques from there and i put my son in the corner for 4 minutes and doing that i used the timer any ideas would help!!

kris8525

Asked by kris8525 at 8:57 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• One of the things I had discovered with my now 11 year old was finding somethings that she enjoyed. I had found that you can use them for disipline. I also found that I didn't stink with the disiplines long enough. For example my DD was a terrible biter. We had tried everything from putting her in time out, to taking her away from the ones that she hurt. I even made her bite into an onion which worked for my oldest, but she ate the onion. I had a doctor tell me once, Do you think she would have ate it a second time. Hmmm I thought I don't know I replied, she says thats what the issue is you don't stick to one disipline. There not going to work if she don't have a chance to dislike it. I hope that helps!
    hodgkinrus6

Answer by hodgkinrus6 at 9:42 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I don't have an answer for you but I do have a question lol How did you get a diagnosis so young? My ds is 4 and a half and he is soo much more of a handful than my oldest son was. He will literally bounce off the walls, whine, get soo angry when things don't go his way like he can't get a toy to work or he's losing a video game. He will throw it across the room or start screaming, take off running into the wall. I have really no experiance with add or adhd and i have wondered about it a few times but then i think i'm just being paranoid and he's just being a 4 yr old. But my oldest or nieces and nephews were not like this at all. And he is soo hard to dicipline. Sorry for hijacking your post! I just saw that and i'm curious.
    Anonymous

• because my fiance whom is not his bilogical father has add and we both see it in my son! my fiance actually tells me its like looking into a mirror! and that my son reminds him of himself growing up! even his mom says the same thing! as for finding something he likes he likes his disney movies oh and his batmas hawlloween costume!! he loves batman! that might just work!
    kris8525

Comment by kris8525 (original poster) at 9:57 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Hi anon. My son is 4 and a half. We took him to see a developmental pediatrician in May (actually, Pediatric Neurodevelopmental Specialist) and he gave us a tentative diagnosis of ADHD (he said he's almost positive but that Evan is so young and he doesn't want to label him). He started therapy. He saw a psychiatrist in October who said the same thing. So, now we wait for a Behavior Therapist and TSS for school, also on a list for OT (there's a wait for these services). We decided against medication because of his age. We want to try the other routes first. Send me an e-mail if you have any other questions or just need to chat. You too OP!
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 3:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Anon.. your son sounds JUST like mine. Currently we are working with early childhood intervention and you literally can NOT give him an iche or he takes 50 miles.. ugh.. every day he will Test the same thing over and over no matter how strict or stern or consistant the discipline is.. I am seriously at a loss of what to do with my own newly turned 3 year old.. I can not believe it.. they have not diagnosed him yet but we should know in a month and I wouldn't be surprised with working with them, eventually they will diagnos this too
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 7:52 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Also in addition to what the above ladies have said, one of the things that I did with the children that I was the 12 hr/day nanny for, was when my kid was distracted and did something that I didn't want them to, I took him aside, got down onto his level (my knees), and had him repeat back to me what I was saying, because if he was able to repeat it back to me, then I knew that he had to comprehend what I was saying. That way I knew he wasn't shutting me out unintentionally, and when I told him what the consequences would be, he would understand why he was being punished and what for. Hope that helps!
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 10:51 AM on Dec. 10, 2010