What do you do with mail that keeps coming to your mailbox but belongs to someone who lived here almost 10 years ago?

We keep getting what looks to be a credit card statement and this time of year we also get what looks like Christmas cards. I always take them back to the post office, but here were are almost 10 years later and we're still getting their mail. What gives?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Home & Garden

• send it back to the origianl sender saying this person is not at this address.
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 9:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Apparently they didn't change their address. Beyond returning it to the PO there isn't much you can do. If you know where they live you can fill out forwarding papers, but if not you can simply send it back.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:05 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I would talk to the people at the office and see if they can't keep that mail out of yours. Also, in the inner part of the lid/door to your mailbox I would put a label that says "(your last name) ONLY, no (whatever name you're getting mail from)" and make sure thats its legible and noticeable so the postman will see it.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 9:05 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Write. "RETURN TO SENDER--NO SUCH PERSON AT ADDRESS" and put it back in your mailbox. Do not fill out a forwarding card if you know where they live, it has to be signed by the person wanting the address change done.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:06 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Actually, it is the Letter Carrier's fault. You must not have someone that works your route everyday. I have bitched out the PO so many times. After all this time, they should know who does and does not live there. Now its time to just toss it in the trash!!!
    eluc

Answer by eluc at 9:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• But what good does it do to write return to sender or not at this address? That is what the person at the post office does or tells me to do, but still we get their mail, always from the same credit card company and Christmas cards from Florida every year. I don't know them and have tried to look them up but haven't been able to find them. Maybe they are now deceased or moved out of the country or something?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:12 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• After about 3 years I started tossing the mail from the same places that I know I have returned as "this person no longer resides at this residence".
    goorob

Answer by goorob at 9:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I work for the post office, contact the supervisor at the po and tell them the problem, ask them to fill out a watch card for your residence. The mail carrier will case it in with the mail to be delivered everyday. You might be on a route that doesnt have an assigned regular carrier to it. Or you might have a mail carrier who isnt paying attention,,lol.
    Anonymous

• we have lived here for almost 10yrs & still get the last owners mail ..
    and something else is the last owner was a couple with kids- the husband passed away & that is why they sold the house. yet we still get tons of mail in his name.. so its a double whammy.. the guy is deceased & his family has moved!
    We just throw it in the trash.. none of it is important (owed money or what-not)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:23 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• RETURN TO SENDER--NO SUCH PERSON AT ADDRESS"

THIS^
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2010