whats a good bedtime for a 15yr old?

sam223

Asked by sam223 at 9:21 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Well the responsible answer would be whatever time versus what time they have to get up to equal 8-9 hours, my parents it was around 9-10 pm, but keep in mind also teenagers actually need more sleep than they realize because their bodies are changing so much rest is required. It is going to be all based on what your particular child is like, if it were me me, I'd start them out a little earlier than they like and let them earn a later bedtime based on how well they get up for school and their school progress, if they give you trouble getting up or their grades fall, lower that time back down. good luck.
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 9:27 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• At 15 they had to be in their room with all electronics off by 11pm. I called kids ONCE. They all had alarms. If they didn't get up...well, I had these little friends called glass marbles in the freezer. Two of those rolled into a warm bed against cozy skin makes for a rude awakening. LOL, mean? Maybe...but I only ever had to do it once to each kid. :) By 16 they chose the bedtime as long as they were upo, and grades were good.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• That really depends on the individual child's needs. Every child has different sleep needs. My twin boys went to bed at 10pm at that age. They are now 18 and are seniors. They go to bed around 1030-11pm and get up at 630 am every morning without issues. My oldest DD was about the same. But, my younger DD needed more sleep. So she went to bed around 9pm. Keep in mind that kids also go through growth spurts and will need more sleep. You should be able to tell the changes in mood at these times.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 9:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Well, in my area, a 15 year old would have to be in school at 7am, meaning they need to wake up at about at about 6 am. If that is the case with her then I would say about 10 pm. Maybe 10:30 or 11 at the very latest.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 10:06 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Where I am from the normal is 9:30-10:30pm
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 10:39 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• From 9th-12th grades my sons (who were almost 18, 19 1/2, 18 1/2 and almost 20--he started K at 7 due to health problems--when they graduated from high school) went to bed at 10p on school nights. They didn't have to fall asleep right away but they were not allowed to watch TV, be on the computer, play video games or talk on the phone. They could read and unwind and that was it. Most nights they went to bed and were asleep in a few minutes because they were tired from a full day of school, sports, other activities, work some nigghts & homework. Some nights they would read but they'd be asleep within 15-30 min. after laying down. They followed our rules, even the ones over 18 when they graduated. They had to be up at 6:30 so if they were asleep by 10:30 they got 8 hours of sleep which was a good nights sleep.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 10:50 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My 15 yr old goes to bed when she gets sleepy, between 8:30 and 9pm every night, but her required bedtime is 10pm on school nights and 11pm on Friday and Saturday nights.

But remember some children (and yes the OP is so correct, 15 is still a child a needing guidance from us as parents) need more sleep than others. If you give your 15 yr old an 11pm bedtime and they are waking up cranky, back it up to 10pm. Teens actually need 8-10 hours of sleep.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:33 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I would just make sure they were in bed by 10:30 or 11. That's when I normally went to sleep as a teen.
    liz.1986

Answer by liz.1986 at 3:15 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• 9:30
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 6:54 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• @ khf22 Yes a bedtime, she's not an adult yet and still has rules..It is my job to make sure she gets the proper sleep to go to school alert enough to learn..
    sam223

Comment by sam223 (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2010