How to get baby to eat his veggies

I did everything the doc told me. Started him on rice cereal, graduated to orange veggies, tried peas (he hates them), went on to fruits. He was liking the carrot, sweet potatoes, and squash,as well as bananas. Now my 7 month old won't eat anything BUT the fruits. He loves all the frutis now (except prunes) and won't even consider his once beloved veggies. This isn't good, people! He needs his veggies! 7 months is too young to say eat this or don't eat, but I don't want this kid to be hooked on sweets! I wish I had never introduced the fruits! I was thinking of mixing in some veggies with the fruits, but don't know what combos won't taste like barf. Any suggestions for how to fix this little issue?

CarriePM

Asked by CarriePM at 9:35 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter only likes sweet veggies and fruits. i limit those. she will not eat anything green. she loves mac n cheese and spaghette so i mix the veggies in there and she eats them. babies not need alpt of fruits or veggies a day. my doc said about 3 table spoons of each everyday will give her enough of the food groups she needs a day. if she is still on jar food, mix some carrotas with sweeeet potatoes or find a combo ur baby likes.
    gusgus_mom

Answer by gusgus_mom at 9:44 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Sweetie... it's bound to happen. No matter how you introduce or what you limit, they will go through phases of refusing to eat certain things. Just always offer healthy options and you're good. Fruit is good, fruit has plenty of nutrients and fiber (juice does not equal fruit). He doesn't need solids for any nutrition at this age, so don't stress.

What you CAN do is offer whole foods. Peas, steamed green beans broccoli or carrots... whatever your family is eating. Veggie mush isn't so appetizing, but actual vegetables are yummy and interesting!

And know that he WILL refuse some foods. My first ate everything as an infant and started refusing anything green around age 2. He's almost 5 and will eat peas and avocado (he always ate avocado)... but nothing else. He tries other stuff but doesn't like it. All I can ask is that he try. He downs fruit like no tomorrow, though, so I'm not worried.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 9:51 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• At 7mo, most of your baby's food should be breastmilk, or a substitute, and solids should be for exploring tastes and textures.

Also, it is common for kids to take a long time to get used to odd, bitter or strong flavours, so just keep offering (in very small quantities) a wider variety than he eats now.

It can also help to feed him what he's used to smelling --your dinner, in other words.

It may also help if he can feed himself. Whole cooked peas are a better choice than pureed peas --dunno if you remember those, but they're sand. Gross.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Most of his food is breastmilk. I am just concerned about him getting hooked on sweets so early. I don't want a sugar fiend on my hands.
    CarriePM

Comment by CarriePM (original poster) at 11:39 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I was thinking mix the fruits and veggies up too but wouldn't know which ones would taste good together. Sorry I'm not much help.
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 10:49 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• You could combine the veggies with the fruits, one spoonful of this and then this and so on. It' could be a phase, My son however did have no fruits introduced until he did the veggies and meats. I do feel theirs a reason to start them on veggies, then meats and then fruits for that reason. However I did that in that order, and I can't get my son to eat as much meat. He doesnt really like it every once and awhile he will eat a little bit or whatever. But, all you can do is keep trying, even if it's a little bit everyday.
    Good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:31 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I DID do it in order. The veggies were first. But once he met fruits, there was no turning back!
    CarriePM

Comment by CarriePM (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Stop feeding him the fruits then!! Only offer veggies and breast milk! It is okay for him to have breast milk only at his age!! You could just stop all fruits and veggies for a few weeks and just do oatmeal....rice cereal and breast milk. Then when you start foods again start with veggies again!! I always started with the green veggies cause they were less sweet, it surprises me that they told you to start with the orange veggies!!
    nat1387

Answer by nat1387 at 9:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2010