My 1 yr old has chicken pox and is Miserable!

How do I get him to stop scratching? He's on medicine to help alleviate his symptoms sooner. I have had 6 hours of sleep in 2 days. Also, can scratching really cause scars? He won't stop!

Sharell8710

Asked by Sharell8710 at 9:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• this sounds mean but my mom taped oven mits to our hands! u could try socks so he cant scratch! good luck!! and yes my bro has scars from chicken pox!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:39 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Oatmeal bath and cortozone - oatmeal helps dry out the sores and also helps ease the itching. Also, try aveeno baby lotion with oatmal in it - it will help heal faster and help ease your sons pain.

You can buy all those things at walmart or target by the pharmacy department. You can even ask the pharmacist for more help.
    giftofgiving

Answer by giftofgiving at 9:41 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Yes it is true about scars.
    Yes the oatmeal/milk bath is supposed to help. Poor lil guy!!!! Give him tylenol..
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 9:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I agree oatmeal baths work great. When we were kids we had them and it was really hard on my brother because he was so young. also don't worry about the scaring because even if you don't scratch he might stll have a few scars. My sister didn't scratch and she ended up with a little scar on her nose.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:45 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Yes, it really can cause scars. So can calamine lotion when it's put onto broken skin.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:52 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Really? I've never heard that before. My mom told me to pick some up.
    Sharell8710

Comment by Sharell8710 (original poster) at 9:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Poor little guy! I would call and ask doc. My kid's haven't had chicken pox yet.
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 10:46 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Poor baby. You know chicken pox are contagious. I hope you've had them already because you can get them from taking care of your baby. I'm reading that a good remedy for young children to sooth the itchy skin is to use baby oil. or bath additives such as oatmeal.I used calamine on my kids since they were school age when they got the chicken pox, but I wouldn't recommend that for a toddler since they could end up ingesting it.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:39 PM on Dec. 3, 2010