Is your kitchen open to your living room or not?

I have a choice to move to a newer house or stay at my current house. This house my kitchen is open to my living room which is okay most of the time. The other house it is completely closed off. I think I might like that. But only if we put in an intercom or something so I don't have to yell to the rest of the house....so what do you have and do you like it?

goorob

Asked by goorob at 9:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Ours is closed off, and it makes me crazy. I can't wait to move to a house where it's open to the rest of the house. Our last 2 apartments had open kitchens, and I really miss it. I swear one of these nights, I'm taking a sledgehammer to that stupid wall.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:39 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Right now they are seperate, although we are in the processing of opening them now. I am actually excited to have them open, there will still be a small wall between them although that is okay. I personally like having it open because when have parties and stuff everyone will be able to talk to everyone else. Now it feels like the house is so small.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:41 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Ours was closed off but we knocked out a wall to open it up, I LOVE having it open, I can be in the kitchen fixing dinner or doing some baking and still be able to be part of what everyone else is doing in the living room.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 9:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• We have an open-plan house from the 60s (think Brady Bunch, only smaller).. which is awesome for me, and with kids --but my dh is getting quite deaf and with the tv right off the main noise-maker room in the house, it's a real problem (for him )... we're going to move it into the back bedroom when the last child goes...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:45 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Ours are open and I love it that way.
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 9:52 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• They are seperated and its ok with me. I wish I could clear the walls out if if every annoys me but the walls are for our basement steps
    elyssek832

Answer by elyssek832 at 11:23 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• No. I prefer it this way so I can do kitchen things and not be bothered by what is going on elsewhere !
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 11:50 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Ours is open. Personally, that's the only thing I would pick.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:29 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Our living room is open to our dining room but our kitchen is open to our family room.  I like it because I don't miss any of my favourite programs when I'm getting myself a snack;)

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:54 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Our kitchen opens into our family room, but you cannot see the TV from the kitchen table (it's wall mounted over the fireplace), which was my idea. :o) I LOVE the layout!

My formal rooms (living and dining) are closed with glass french doors--so I can decorate and have them look nice, with my fine china and decorative pieces on display, without the kids and dog destroying them while wrestling and running around! I have top of door jam locks on the doors to keep the kids out! The only time they are allowed in them is when I'm entertaining and Christmas--since we keep our tree in the living room. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:52 AM on Dec. 4, 2010