• In the Spotlight:

How to keep living room clean with a son turning 2?

My son's room is small and relatively easy to keep clean, but the living room is a different story. It's not just his toys...it's everything else he's constantly trying to get into. We keep everything up and away the best we can, but things like the DVD's are easy for him to get to. We're trying to teach him to "not touch" certain things which he listens to temporarily, until we walk away for whatever reason. It's very hard keeping the living room looking nice with his toys, movies, or whatever he decides to pull down to the ground everywhere :/ Is it just his age? Are we not doing the right thing in order to teach him? He definitely understands when he's doing something wrong, but thinks he can get away with it even though I try to be as consistent as possible with time outs/discipline.

ours

Asked by ours at 9:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• try singing the cleanup son, you can find it on youtube...its a barney song but it gets my 18 monthold to pick up her toys.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 9:57 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• If you don't want to pick it up for the next year, pack it away.

He is unteachable at this point --like a puppy. He can't remember the rules, he is infinitely distractible and will literally turn away from something he was just playing with and see it again 2 minutes later and it's completely new again.

He understands your tone of voice. That is not the same as remembering the rules. Even 5yos have a hard time putting their house rules into words, rather suggesting that they don't comprehend them.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:57 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• From what I have learned is just keep up with everything! I know it can be a pain in the butt but it is what has to be done! I always try to get everyone else to realize there is a place for most things in our home but they seem to forget! :-)
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 9:58 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I dont worry about cleanup unless we expect company or before bedtime. I make a game out of it. My son will be 3 in April so I dont expect him to be a neat freak or clean up everything, but I do like him to help me with some things. He helps me throw the legos in the box and put toys back in the toyboc and bins.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:59 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• try having him go to time out & then clean up the mess..
    also u can try limiting the toys he can have out. teach him "before u get out ^these toys^ you must put up ^those toys^.
    have him help straighten the living room twice a day or so whenever its best for you...
    if he is opening drawers.. teach him those drawers are OFF LIMITS!
    good luck! :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I wish I knew too. My son is 20 months old and we are always picking up toys. As far as other things, all small things that he isn't allowed to play with is kept in my bedroom where he hardly ever goes. My son empties his entire toybox and never really plays with more than 2 or 3things then he will not look at them again untill I am ready to put them away and then he acts like he wants it only so it can continue to lay where it was the whole time. Just a never ending cycle, I guess its just a stage and hopefully in the next few years he'll learn to put them away himself. Untill then I guess I just plan to constantly pick things up.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 10:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• He's 2. Although they are very intelligent at this age they also have the attention span of a lightning bolt. They will do what you tell them at that moment but as soon as you turn your back they have completely forgotten what you said. They live in the moment. LITERALLY! If it really bothers you then put everything away where he cannot get to it, other than that. 2 year old and clean should not even be in the same sentence...lol.. 4 and 5 year olds will keep it clean a little longer.
    MomInc

Answer by MomInc at 11:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I guess I just need to try harder to keep things up high where he can't get them instead of just setting them on the couch because he'll just throw it everywhere. The DVD's...I'm not sure what to do. Maybe just have my husband figure out a way to put the child locks on the doors so he can't open them even though I remember him saying something about a reason why he couldn't!
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 11:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My 17 month old does the samething. DVD's, throw pillows, EVERYTHING! I get on 2 him 4 it but it doesn't do any good. I've put the DVD's where he can't get 2 them, but he pulls out the 1's n his room. It's like they can't help it. They'll figure it out after awhile. Mine takes his time about things but he eventually gets the hang of things. My daughter was putin her things away at 3, but not so my oldest son. It just depends on the kid. If u have a higher shelf 2 put the movies on then do that. He can't get 2 them then. I've about just givin up on my livingroom unless we have company. Otherwise it looks like a tornado hit it!
    amy197

Answer by amy197 at 11:39 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• try putting the stuff you dont want him in high enough so he cant reach it (we put the stuff behind a closed door under the tv with the baby proofing stuff, so my daughter just took the handles off). as far as toys mine will help for about 5min and then she forgets what we are doing or gets distracted, so i have the best way to get stuff done is when they are in bed.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 6:54 AM on Dec. 3, 2010