You’re having lunch with three people you respect and admire. They all start criticizing a close friend of yours, not knowing she is your friend. The criticism is distasteful and unjustified. What do you do?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 10:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Okay, that has happened to me. I said something to the effect of "Well, I have never seen a side of so and so like that. I always thought she was a really good person actually, based on my experiences with her." That way I am not telling them outright that they are wrong, but I am adding my viewpoint and at the same time sticking up for my friend, because that is what I would want done for me. Second, I don't want to be quiet because my silence could be misconstrued as a silent agreement later down the road if reference to that conversation ever came up again!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:02 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Wow I've been in situations where I've told the other party if they could refrain from saying anything because she's my friend and I've also let people say what they wanted and ignored them. I think I would say something that way they'll have respect for you since you stuck up for a friend. Or excuse yourself early.

Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 10:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• lightbulbi listen and take notes. i know that i wont be trusting them anytime soon. sometimes it is better to be silent and sit on the fence. oh...and i would give my friend a head's up.

maya123

Answer by maya123 at 11:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2010