If you had an episiotomy, can you deliver again natural or would you opt for a c-section?

AbsoluteSelf

Asked by AbsoluteSelf at 10:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• I'd deliver again naturally. It's completely healed so it wouldn't affect anything. Plus, recovery from an episiotomy is much, much better than recovery from a c-section.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 10:27 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I had an episiotomy with my first 2 deliveries...had my other 3 naturally. Would not opt for a c/s unless it was a medical necessity.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 10:28 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I had an episiotomy with my first child and delivered both of my other children naturally. I am not sure if there is a reason why you can't have kids naturally if you have an episiotomy, unless your doctor tells you differently.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:28 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Had an episiotomy with all 3 of my kids, all delivered naturally.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 10:31 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Well said Jessicarae787. My first daughter was born when I was 16, completely naturally- no pain meds at all. But I had an epe\isiotomy with her and I thought it was awful at the time. Second time around I was induced and baby started having problems. Ended up having an emergency c-section. Let me tell you, compared to the pain from a c-section an epesiotomy is a walk in the park on a nice spring day. lol I was in the hospital for 4 days and didn't want to go home because I knew I would be in terrible pain and the nurses wouldn't be there to help.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 10:31 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I had a severe tear with the first pregnancy, and it took me close to 10 months to fully recover from the episiotomy (rarity as I understand from my Obgyn). I had the same concern as you, but was informed that healing from C-section is much worse than from episiotomy b/c your stomach muscle is invovled in pretty much everything you do. I delivered #2 naturally with literally 4 pushes. Within 10 minutes the kid was out. It really is amazing how much way the first one paved for the second one. Go natural, just don't forget to ask for the drugs early so you don't feel anything.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 10:34 PM on Dec. 2, 2010