my daughter is a week and couple days old and i think she has a cold. i hear mucus between her throat and chest area and it also seems like she's trying to cough it up but it just will not come up. it also seems like she's gagging. what is it and what can i do to help her?

anijahnnasjae

Asked by anijahnnasjae at 10:39 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• breast feed, breast feed and breast feed some more!
    breast feed in the bathroom with the hot shower running.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:47 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• When they are that little, it really is a sin. I would ask the pediatrican b/c you really have to be careful with what they can take, if anything at all. I usually put a humidifier on, which seems to help with the coughing/throat. I've also run the hot water in the shower stall. Once the steam gets going, I've brought the baby in the shower with me. The steam helps clears the nose (but my baby was 6 months old, 1 week old may be too much). Sometimes letting her stay in the car seat also help b/c she's kept somewhat upright, and any fluid built-up in the nose/throat tend to be less. Good luck...make sure you drink lots of water and take care of yourself as well.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 10:54 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Thank u so much with your answers.
    anijahnnasjae

Comment by anijahnnasjae (original poster) at 10:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• happy2bmom25 is also right. You need to keep the baby hydrated. Although it is harder for the baby to nurse with a stuffed up nose, she/he may not want to do it for too long...in that case you just have to do it more often. I am not sure if the same applies to bottle-feeding (check with your pediatrician) b/c formula is heavier, you don't want to cause your baby to be obese (yes...it's more common than you think).
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 10:59 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• A lot of babies after birth are like that..its from all of the mucus and fluids that she was in inside of you...her being only a week old you will probably notice that for the first couple weeks. If it sounds like she is having a hard time breathing try using the syringe aka bugger sucker and try to suck what ever is in the back of her throat and then her nose..make sure you are washing it out with hot soapy water before using it again to keep the bacteria away. also the cool mist vaporizer will help. Good luck with your little bundle of joy !!!
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 11:05 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• If she can't breathe, take her to a doctor.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 11:49 PM on Dec. 2, 2010