what do u use

So I went to my 6 wk post partum today.

I haven't given much thtought to birth control. I am wondering what you use- have used...likes and dislikes for you personally...

I"ve only taken the pill and would rather something else more convenient so I don't forget to take it and what not.

My doc gave me info on the Mirena. its 5 years long and can be taken out anytime...also takes away a period.

I know I don't want the rod they put into your arm...that freaks me out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• I used the Mirena after my boys were born. I had sporadic periods while I had it in, but I liked it.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 10:51 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I have a blood clotting disorder called Factor V Leiden Mutation so I am not allowed any kind of birth control that has estrogen in it because it increases my risks of blood clots. I use condoms or a foam. Right now nothing because I am trying to conceive after a miscarriage.
    mommy6xover

Answer by mommy6xover at 10:51 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I have heard horror stories about Mirena so I would never get it. In fact, a girl I know just got pregnant on it. So no thank you. I was on Yaz birth control but it made me sick so I went off...then got pregnant! HA! Now my fiance and I just use condoms but I'm wanting to get back on some kind of pill at least until our wedding in June, just to make sure there aren't anymore surprises. I really don't believe in birth control pills and all those Mirena and Nuvaring things. There has been a huge increase in people having problem concieving and I think all the birth control medications might have something to do with it.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:53 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• the Mirena doesn't take away your period. It "CAN" but it doesn't always. It just messed mine up to no end (I had a two week period at one point). It took a few tries to get it in for me, and when she did get it in she accidentally cut me (rare she said!) and we found out I was allergic to the glue she used to stitch me up, lol. Anyway, my period cramps are 5 times worse, my bleeding is irregular, when I do bleed I can feel the strings (to pull it out later) poking me "in there" and when hubby and I do have sex, he says he can feel them too and there were a couple of times it was uncomfortable.
    If you get pregnant while on the Mirena (rare but possible) it is certain death for the infant, and pretty darn close to certain death for you too. So if you or hubby are extremely fertile, I wouldn't chance it.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 10:54 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My DH had a vasectomy when our third child was almost 1 year. I have not used birth control since then. Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:54 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Depo Provera. Once every 3 months. I had zero period, zero spotting, it was awesome.
    Anonymous

• I have a 10 year IUD. It is the paraguard copper. I love mine, you can't tell that it is there and I have no problems with irregular periods or pain or anything. I would recommend it to anyone.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:19 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Condoms. I'm scared of IUDs (personal thing), I can't for the life of me remember to take a pill, the NuvaRing was way too distracting during sex and I forgot to take that out too, and I've heard too many bad things about the patch and the shot. So for now, condoms it is.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• y mirena had to be surgicaly removed because it bacame a part of my uterus. I recommend the implanon.
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:49 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• We used condoms, then after 5 when we new we where done. He got a Vasectomy.I Didn't like taking the pill, I also didn't like the way they made me feel. I did however take the pill from 17-23/24 then it wasn't good for me. To each their own. I also used the patch for a while about 2 yrs and that was easy enough, but left a Gross sticky square on your body after each one for a few days.Look into it some more their are so many different choices.simple smile 

Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 10:24 AM on Dec. 3, 2010