sore throats

my baby is almost 8 weeks old and just recently has been super fussy and has this really raspy whiney cry I have never heard before like his throat is sore or something. I cant really see any redness or anything and his glands dont really feel swollen but its hard for me to know what they normally feel like since they are hiding under his second chin LOL. I gave him baby tylenol and it worked a miracle. Sound like a sore throat? and if so can it wait until his appointment next week (no fever) or should I try to get him in to see his doc sooner

humaniterian87

Asked by humaniterian87 at 12:33 AM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He is only eight weeks, you should give your doctor a call and describe the symptoms, i know nobody wants to be over alarmed at every little thing, and i admit when my son was a newborn i spent one to many minutes calling up the doctor. But, he was always there ready with an answer and advice...I was never told not to call. At around 2 years old my son came down with a raspy cough (sounded like a seal or dog cough) and loud breathing...His behaviour hadn't changed much, and it didn't make me too concern but it got worse at night and i gave the doctor a call, he heard the breathing over the phone and urged me to go the the ER. My son had croupe and it can be very dangerous...sometimes fatal.  Better safe than Sorry!

Loba

Answer by Loba at 1:23 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Try to give him some cinnamon (fresh stick) tea, just not so much before he goes to bed, that should help him releave the sore throat. I hope he feels better soon....
    jcampos

Answer by jcampos at 1:25 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• jcampos?????????? are you fricken serious? give an 8 week old tea? they are barely adjusting to formula/breastmilk! Plus, some teas contain honey and honey can kill babies.

Anyways........it probably just a cold but you can call your pediatircian and ask if he/she would prefer you bring him in before his checkup. Good luck!
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 6, 2008