How do you get your child to stay in their toddler bed?

My daughter has been in a toddler bed since August and she was doing just fine. Then all of a sudden she wont stay in bed all night. At some point every night she crawls into my bed. I am tired of not getting any sleep. I need help!

Maddysmom87

Asked by Maddysmom87 at 11:12 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• So, sleep through it. If you don't need to wake up to do anything about it, why are you waking up at all?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• my daughter does the same thing...as sson as she climbes up there i take her straight back to bed and tell her to go back to night night and she does! you have to be very consistant and say the same thing each time yu put them back to bed....hope this helps!!!
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 11:15 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I agree! I was thrilled when my son stopped waking me and just crawled into bed with us.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:15 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Can she open her bedroom door? We moved my daughter out of her crib at 15 months because we were expecting another baby, she would sometimes get out and knock on her door, but she got the idea that she had to sleep there pretty quickly.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 11:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I have tried making her go back to bed, and i have been very consistent about it..it just doesn't seem to work with her. :( Yes, she can open her door, and if i put her back in bed she just opens the door and comes right back in.. I am so frustrated i just don't know what to do...
    Maddysmom87

Comment by Maddysmom87 (original poster) at 11:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Uhm am I the only one who shuts his door and uses this knob thing so he can't open it? I don't see any reason for a toddler to be out of his room when he's supposed to be sleeping. If he needs something, I'll hear him and get him. Besides that he has no reason to leave his room. I could see him being 4 and more understanding of rules and what's safe/not safe and taking the knob things off, but for now...he's just too young.
    ours

Answer by ours at 11:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Oh I guess I'm lucky that mine can't open the door yet. I would say then just be patient, continue to be consistent and "this too shall pass" as all of the fun motherhood obstacles do. :) Good luck to you!
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 11:26 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• duct tape?
    Anonymous

• We bought a tall walk though baby gate and attached it to their bedroom door. That way they can not get out. I use a bungee cord to secure it and keep them from opening it during the night.

It looks like this but is mounted in the door frame.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:26 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• lol sleepingbeautee! love the pic! I do the same thing i child gate my daughter in. in fact i have had to start using two. one right above the other, because my daughter will climb over them if there is just one. we do it for safety reasons we woke up one night to banging coming from the kitchen. our 3 year old had climbed on top of the fridge and was dropping cook books off. It could have been worse she could have found the knives. so climbing in with you shouldn't be your only concern its just not safe for Toddlers to wander alone through a house in the middle of the night. I have also used the door knob covers in the past but she learned how to open the door with those on at 2.
    OkiMama618

Answer by OkiMama618 at 5:51 AM on Dec. 3, 2010