Why do the presidents go by their last name ... Clinton, Bush, Obama

When we refer to presidents we use their last names never their first. Does anyone know how this started or why we do it? I figure it's because it sounds more professional then George or Barrack.

bubblycute

Asked by bubblycute at 12:34 AM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Just for Fun

• out of respect.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 12:35 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• idk..but it sounds better with their last names lol
    misty91

Answer by misty91 at 12:36 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• It's because of respect. Just like when we were in school and all of the teachers were Mr., Mrs, or Miss whatever. Or in church, we call our pastor by his last name too. It just shows respect to the person you're addressing.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 12:48 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• What is your point? Why don't you question coaches. They always call players by their last names. Who cares?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• It was just a question anon. No need to be a total bitch about it. Go pop a chill pill and change your tampon.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 1:23 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I don't know them well enough to be on a first name basis with them. ;-)

Although, you ever notice when their autodialers call us and ask us to vote for them, the recording uses OUR first names? Cheeky bastards!
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 9:32 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Well maybe because there are a million Georges in the world and not as many Bushe's. Easier to keep track of that way.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:26 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• it is respect like teachers, not to mention the first 20 or so have the same (first) names, john, william, george... ya know. so that would have been confusing before we had more diversity with first names.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:28 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Do ya'll think it could have something to do with the military? I'm not being a jackass by any means, I'm just saying. Washington was a general in the military before he became president, so I figure they thought it was just the next step to call him by his last name when he was in office. And since he was the "commander in chief" of the armed forces, back then wouldn't he still have been considered a 'part' of the military?

So maybe that's a tradition that's been around since the first president. I dunno, something to think about =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:08 AM on Nov. 6, 2008