i keep reading about being a ERFing mom what the heck is it i figured out what a CIO mommy is but ERF someone explain please.....

Asked by Petyonsmommy at 11:19 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• Electronic Retractable Fingers?

No idea...

Answer by LindaClement at 11:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I've always though it meant Extended Rear in carseats but I don't know.

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:21 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• thanks Ash9724 that makes since now that you say it lol i just couldnt figure it out lol

Comment by Petyonsmommy (original poster) at 11:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Just some newfangled crap that doesn't make a child any safer than the standard forward-facing we currently do.

• Wow..anon, please post some evidence to prove your claim? Right, you can't can you? OP, if you would like I have a lot of information showing the ERF'ing is by far the most safest way for children 3 and under (4 if you can manage) to ride. It's not newfangled. Actually it's been used in Europe for quite a while. And, surprise surprise, they have lower infant/child mortaliy rates for car accidents...even though in some areas speed limites are faster or do not exist at all.
    There is so much evidence that the US is considering bumping up the limits for rear facing to 2 years of age, and the AAP is finally saying "yep, 1 year and 20lbs is FAR too young to forward face!" I don't want to start a flame war but if you are interested I can show you some of the crash test videos along with valid research from companies showing ERF"ing is the best!

Answer by katzmeow726 at 11:37 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Katzmeow726 is right. it is safer to have them sitting facing the back of the vehicle if you get hit they get thrown toward the seat opposed to getting whiplash as their head gets thrown forward, remember their little necks are not as strong as an adults.

Answer by OkiMama618 at 6:14 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I agree with OP, I have soon to be 5 kids, and have talked with doctors and child safey experts and they all say that ERF is not that important! I think tha all this trendy parenting is going to raise insecure, scared, childish aults who fear their own shadows! BTW I dotn give a shit what you avid ERF moms say! I have tons of parenting experience and do do rsearch, and I find it all alo of crap! Just like breast feeding past 1, it is all weird , trendy, and excessive!

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:48 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• It's safer for EVERYONE to ride rear facing, but that is unrealistic. So, instead, we keep our most precious cargo rear facing, which is the best we can do.

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:06 PM on Dec. 3, 2010