1 Step daughter

Any advice on how I can get close or at least better communication with my stepdaughter?
I came into her life when she was 8 yrs old. She is now 14 and going through the teenage hard times.

Any advice?

Kally123

Asked by Kally123 at 11:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I read the book Step Mothers and it really helped me. There is also a site for step moms...sorry can't remember the name of it, try google. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:20 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Try to be there for her as a friend
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 1:24 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I too entered my step dds life when she was 8. She started having a lot of problems at 14 and would not open up to me about them. I found out recently that my step dd confided to my now adult dd that she was having sex at 14. It shocked me, even though I know kids do that sort of thing, but I wish she could have talked to me way back then, Just let her know you are there if she wants to talk about anything and you will always support her, other then that, I dont know what else to offer,,good luck with this
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:41 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Thank you!
    She is also having sex (At least I think this)
    My s-daughter is going through a hard time in her life. Meaning she has just started counseling and has become quiet and to herself. I'm not sure what to do? Should I just remain as a providing step-mother who is there for her OR Step aside and let her father (my husband) and my s-daughters mother go through the cycle?
    I have told my s-daughter that I'm here for her, if she needs a ear to listen or any other advice. However, I always feel a grudge in the home atmosphere.
    Kally123

Comment by Kally123 (original poster) at 12:01 AM on Dec. 3, 2010