How to be a "single" parent and a night shift nurse?

My husbands in the military and is currently about to be deployed in May (i'm prego and due in May), I also have a one year old son. I have recently gotten a job offer in our hometown as a night shift nurse working 12hr shifts so I took that offer and moved home early because I wasn't sure if the position would still be available in may. I'm living with my parents so they're here to help me but I want to know, how can I be a "single" parent and a night shift nurse but still give my son the attention that he needs? I mean he's already "lost" his dad and now he's about to "lose" his mommy for 3 almost 4 days at a time. I'm just worried that all of this is going to have negative effects on him later on in life. Any advice?

nurse.wife.MOM

Asked by nurse.wife.MOM at 11:34 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Who is watching the kids when you're at work? Also, when you're home and not asleep, you can spend time with them that is meaningful. First when you get home and then after your sleep maybe? I'm not sure but good for you for getting that job!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:47 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I guess that I don't really have much advice except that kids are resilient. My mom used to watch a little boy over night. His mom was a nurse. She worked 7 to 7. Her husband was a truck driver so he wasn't home much. She would pick him up after her shift, I guess she would sleep when he napped. All I know is that little boy is now a junior in high school and is an amazing young man. Your children will also have your parents around so they will always be with family. Good luck to you! Congrats on baby #2!
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 11:50 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• its tough but us moms have to do what we have to do to get by and survive. it might be a temporary situation. maybe you might be hired as a daytime nurse eventually. the important part is to get in first and prove yourself. and he will have your parents and he knows you are there. he will be fine and you will be too. it wont be easy but sometimes we have to make sacrifices for the good of our families. good luck!
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:48 PM on Dec. 3, 2010