HIGH SCHOOL DETENTION!

Why is a waste of money and a waste of punishment?
How are detentions pricey?
WHY SHOULD SCHOOLS HAVE TO CUT DOWN ON PAPER AND LAY OFF TEACHERS BUT YET PAY FACULTY MEMBERS TO BE IN CHARGE OF DETENTION?

Opinions please :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• In my son's high school, a teacher stays after school for detention so no money is wasted. Or the kids get lunchtime detention. I do think it's a wasted punishment. Actually, I think suspension is a wasted punishment. What more does a kid want but time AWAY from school? Hello!! Make them clean or something. Do community service, Not a mini vacation.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:49 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• IDK but I would volunteer to watch the delinquents once a week : )
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:50 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I never understood detention or suspension. Detention you stay in one room and don't have to listen to the teacher lecture about the lesson of today. Suspension you get to hang out at home and watch tv or play video games. Why can't they make the kids clean the school or do extra homework or community service instead?
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 11:51 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• the one time i got detention in school i just stayed after school in the teacher's room who gave it to me while he finished his work for the day. he was gonna be there anyway so no extra money was necessary. it worked on me, cause i never wanted detention again cause it was soooo boring! and i agree w/ tyfry, suspension is the joke punishment (unless its in-school suspension that usually works).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:53 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Well...

It has been proven time and time again (usually by thoughtful and careful researchers who are trying to prove you right) that punishment does NOT work... or, rather, doesn't do what people want it to do.

It is a waste of everyone's time. It is a waste of effort. It's ineffective and pointless and teaches people the wrong things entirely. It encourages rebellion, often in surprising places (kids sneaking out of the house at night, or falling asleep in class, lack of motivation, procrastination... 'forgetting' things they believe are important to themselves)...

But the schools all know that. They know the research exists and ignore it, because they do what they've always done because they've always done it and if they had to change, things would be different. Which, obviously, would be bad.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:56 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My youngest was the suspension king between 8th grade and 10 th grade. He soon learned Mom doesn't play that game. He pulled weeds, scrubbed the kitchen floor with a toothbrush, scrubbed all the grout in the bathroom, scrubbed garbage cans..all the nasty jobs he hated. He finally figured out acting out wasn't worth several days at home with Mom or Dad. Oh, while suspended..no TV, no radio, no phone, no video games......and a 500 word essay on why he wasn't doing what he did again. Detention is a joke.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:56 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I do understand your reasoning. They should let them help out in the cafeteria or cleanup somewhere in the school. I don't think they would want their friends to see them in that position.What better reason would there be for them to not get detention?
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:15 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I don't understand why more schools don't have in-school suspension. When I was in school, suspension meant you sat at a little desk outside the guidance counselor's office and had to do work all day. No talking, had to eat your lunch at the desk, etc. And everyone walking down the hall could see who was in detention. I think it worked because none of us wanted to get it! Parents who allow their suspended kids to watch TV, sleep late, play video games, etc. are the problem. I always told my kids if they got suspended, they'd either be working their little fannies off at home all day or they'd be going to the office with me and filing and shredding all day. Never had to follow through and all 3 of them are in high school now.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:44 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I had detention a couple of times (for being late to class and school too many times). I sat in the detention room and the detention teacher and I painted our nails, yeah it wasn't really an effective punishment. I agree community service or actual work would be much better.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 10:53 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Good question. I have never agreed with the idea of in school suspensions or detentions. At least not in the way that they are currently. So tons of kids I have seen end up sitting in the chair all day or after school....doing what? Not school work. They usually miss work and are supposed to make it up but rarely does it get done. Why not be more creative? Harass a girl and get detention? Before your child is allowed back in school have him take a tour of a rape crisis center and talk to a counselor their on the issues women face. Get into a fight? Go to the local DJJ office or detention center to see something along those lines. Or an afternoon sweeping out the classrooms. I know they won't let students use chemicals that clean...but it would be nice if they could clean a few tiolets. A true consequence that hopefully is connected to the reason. :( Too bad it doesn't work that way.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:01 AM on Dec. 3, 2010