Anyone interested in....

a group for chat kids? We can monitor it (we the parents) by using webcam (skype, etc.) and using common sense. (Screening the first session before child "meets" new friend, chatting in public area of house, etc.)

fwiw, my DD is 5, and would love to meet other kids in her (general) age group from around the world.

Sarahsdawn

Asked by Sarahsdawn at 12:01 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Technology

• No, thanks.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 12:02 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• That's kind of a cool idea, but my ten month old daughter is too young for it lol
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 12:04 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• lol, don't blink, she'll be 5 in a minute!
    Sarahsdawn

Comment by Sarahsdawn (original poster) at 12:08 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I think it would be a good idea for a site to be created for children to get to know children from other countries (maybe even one school to another). I feel it would be an amazing learning experience for everyone involved to see the cultures of a country so very different from ours.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 12:11 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Right. I looked all over for one, but the youngest age was 13 or so. They have chat for younger ages, but to be honest, I think video chat (that is screened) is safer. We (the parent) can see who the child is talking to, etc.

New school pen pals! FTW! (Great way to learn about geology and other cultures, too.)
    Sarahsdawn

Comment by Sarahsdawn (original poster) at 12:13 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• IMO, too much "room for error" dealing with that specific age group!! The idea is an awesome one though! But people are crafty, adults and teens alike. Too much hacking going on for me to feel comfy with that regarding my kid (but mine is only 2). I do like the pen-pal idea though, I had one when I was young. Much easier to monitor a pen-pal relationship with your 5 year old than an on-line one. Besides that a pen-pal would benefit in other ways, ways that are becoming lost in modern times.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:25 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• love the penpal idea, though sharing a physical address with a total, unknown stranger freaks me out.

Here's a question: If we created this, what precautions could we take to ensure the safety of the children? Disclaimers to parents to always supervise chats, etc....
    Sarahsdawn

Comment by Sarahsdawn (original poster) at 2:00 AM on Dec. 3, 2010