How would you feel?

For some reason, we have Christmas at my Aunt's house each year (step aunt--I only specify because we definitely FEEL like step children...even though we're all in our 30's). Anyway, every year we go to her house and we all spend the night...ONE night. Well, this year, we are to get hotel rooms...not all of us...just the step children. Mind you, they have a large house....like 4-5,000 square feet....yet no room for us. I know it's terrible, but next year, I'm not going to her house...it's clear that we're not welcome. I want to make plans to go to my sister's house...they also have a large house and she would be more than willing to accomodate all of us. She wouldn't expect us to stay in a hotel.....which I find ridiculous!

How would you feel?

P.S....don't know what category to put this in.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• If you always stay in her house I wonder what has changed. I would put out if all of a sudden the rules changed.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 12:17 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Why not go to your sisters this year?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:19 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I agree with bseastrand , something had to change if all of a sudden they decide that you need to stay in a hotel. What does anyone else in the family have to say about that? If you feel you are not wanted there, then why don't you go ahead to your sister's house this year. If it was me, I wouldn't want to be a burden on anyone.

amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:23 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Well, the only reason I am still going is my grandfather died on Black Friday and I don't want to make waves...mind you....he never made us feel like step grandchildren. He was wonderful and so was Grandma....she died in 96. Next year though....nope...we're not going. I would put people on an air mattress on my kitchen floor before I ever asked anyone to get a hotel. Their house is huge (this is not against her husband...he's great) As of now, my half brother is the only one staying at her house, other than my parents (Dad & stepmother---who is really my mother) they are staying in the guest room. So essentially, they have TONS of space, but don't "have room" while all they have taken up is ONE COUCH. She has two living rooms and a large basement. I'm done.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:24 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I would go to my sisters this year. I don't put up with bullshit like this. For reasons somewhat like this we chose to stay home for Thanksgiving and we will be staying home for Christmas.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 12:26 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I would love to know what has changed. In reality, she is just an ''entitled' bitch who thinks she's the most wonderful thing. She treats her own husband like shit. Would I be so terrible if next year I said I refuse to go there since we don't feel welcome?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:27 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Sounds like maybe the only reason she ever had you stay was because of grandpa.... so now that he's gone she doesn't have to put on a show. I wouldn't worry about waves, I would go where you are wanted and invite your real family to join you. Even if your sister can't house everyone, staying in a hotel out of necessity is better than because your host is a B.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:32 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Thanks for the responses....although LeanneC....the deal with her and my Pop-pop is something different altogether.....she let my mom do ALL the work..never spent a cent or a minute of her time caring for him. My mother did everything, so it's not about him. I understand we have children now, but we had children last year....no more people this year. She's just too prissy for me. I'd love to smack her in her face, but Í'll keep my composure.....if I must be nasty, I'll use passive aggressive tactics just to let her know how we all feel. Sure, it may be childish, but ya know what....what do I care what she thinks...after all, we're barely family.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:55 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• yup go to your sister's house from now on. u will feel more relaxed and enjoy the holidays more. don't let any body think they are all that .
    maya123

Answer by maya123 at 2:02 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• quietI think you should go where you feel more comfortable & same as for your children. What about asking your dad & s.mom if they would care to go to your sisters too? I'd talk to your sister and see what she feels about the situation. It's always good to share your feelings with other family members that might be thinking the same thing you are.'Happy holidays~

Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 10:17 AM on Dec. 3, 2010