Do you have any Christmas traditions in your family?

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 12:16 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Holidays

• i come dutch family so we had four christmas ,one is dec 5th dutch santa would come to your home and give you a treat one was orange and the other dutch cookie and if where bad you would get black coal,
    2- christmas would be christmas eve my older sister and i would stay home and make early morning breakfast while the rest of the family went to midnight mass, we would make home made sweet rolls,raisin bread,smoke ham,eggs,bacon and pastry ,when mass was over young and old would sit around the dinning room table all with best chine my mom kept for that day no lights would be on only candles lite it was magical
    3christmas-would be spent with my parents 3 sisters and brother that was still at home we exchange home made gifts that we had made for each other
    4christmas was spent on new years day when 7sisters and their family and 6 brothers and their family would all spend christmas together ,we would rent a hall the house was
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 2:26 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• We have a couple of traditions at our house. On Christmas Eve we make a sandwich for Santa and leave a cookie or two out. The kids decided two years ago that Santa probably would like a sandwich after all of those cookies. Then we take the kids outside to spread out "special" reindeer food and look for Rudolf's nose (usually a plane is flying by). After the little ones sees his nose they RUN into the house in record speed hop into bed and they actually fall asleep pretty quickly. After we open presents on Christmas morning I make snowman pancakes (3 pancakes with whip cream on them and chocolate chips for buttons).

Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 12:24 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• We received a waffle iron as a gift for our first Christmas. That was 17 Christmases ago. Since then I ALWAYS make waffles for breakfast and then we open presents. My kids are now 10 and 8 (and 2 but he doesn't have an opinion yet! lol) and they suggested opening presents first. I told them NO WAY! lol We always open stockings first, the kids inspect the tree to see what is there from Santa, and then we eat. And we always go to dh's parents' house in the evening. I love our traditions :)
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:25 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Forgot to add (was reminded after reading 1st answer) that we look on the NOAA website to see where Santa is on Christmas Eve. They love that :) And we put out carrots and cookies - but I love the sandwich idea!!!
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:26 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• to small ,all over canada and usa and holland family would gather ,we had picked names from one member from family and the gifts where home made ,many nights we worked hard on these gifts and others did it in few seconds but they where great gifts,
    it was pot luck meal that we all made ,we would all stand in ciricle hold hands and dad would say grace ,then eat ,after the dutch santa would come with his helpers give out the gifts ,and we would sing dutch song for santa ,
    since both of my parents are gone this traditions is longer done ,it is sadly miss
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 2:41 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Not really. We haven't been married that long and are still figuring it out.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:03 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• We make gingerbread houses every year. We also make cookies, and go over to my sil house on Christmas eve.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:22 PM on Dec. 3, 2010