Polygamy

After watching Sister Wives and then hearing there may be legal consequences I guess I have begun asking myself...why? I know polygamy is illegal, but he is only actually married to wife #1. The rest are just "religious marriages" from what I have heard. Correct me if I am wrong (I am sure you will). I can see morally why it might be wrong, but why is it wrong legally? I don't really want this to turn into a religious thing (like with homosexual marriage), I just want to know, legally, why it is wrong for him to have 3 other wives, not recognized by the state. Why does it matter?

I could care less what they do, lol, it is their life and it is not hurting or helping me in any way that I can see. Do you all agree or disagree with it?

ILoveCade

Asked by ILoveCade at 1:08 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know what is wrong with it legally. Because relastically in the eyes of the law would just be having an affair with the other women. And the real wife is cool with it.

But really they might not do anything about polygamy any more because it would destroy the children's home. You know because the husband would get 20 years and the wives each get 5 years. And then they would all be with out a home.
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 1:12 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I agree with you. I couldn't care less.
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 1:13 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I think as long as everyone is of age and consenting, it shouldn't be such a big deal what people do. It's not hurting anyone, they're all happy with the situation (not always the case in polygamy). I can see the appeal of sharing the mothering responsibilities with other moms. I think it's sad that our society doesn't allow the village to help out more, but we're such an individualist society, and we all want things a certain way, and get bent out of shape about it (we've all read the posts on here!).
    I say, to each their own.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:14 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• It's a Utah thing. In any other state it wouldn't be a big deal. Utah has specific laws against that situation because of the whole LDS/polygamy stigma.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:17 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Even though it isn't brought up regularly, in most states, having relations with someone other than your spouse is considered adultery, and is against the law. I believe there is a concern of who is supporting 56 children(yes, there are familys with that many). And there have been men doing some pretty serious prison time for polygamy. In Utah mostly. I'm not saying I agree or disagree, I'm just sharing what I do know on the subject.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:19 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I remember a couple years ago when they had that big raid out that way, I can't remember the name...? I think you all know who I mean anyway. And I completely understand arresting when there is a fear that the girls are so young and being married off. And obviously adultery is wrong, cheating should be looked down upon, but what is happening here isn't really cheating...there is no trickery going on or sneaking around. I guess I just see it as another thing that shouln't really be, legally, looked down upon. Again, I wouldn't do it, but who am I to say it doesn't work for other people?
    ILoveCade

Comment by ILoveCade (original poster) at 1:26 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I asked this same question awhile ago..I don't get it, either.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 2:04 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I don't get it either. I don't agree with their life style and would never choose it for myself BUT I do NOT believe they should be in legal trouble!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• In Utah, it's against the law to live with someone of the opposite sex while you are married. This is done specifically to prohibit polygamy.

Personally, as long as they are adults, and consenting, their relationship is their business. A child can never have too many people that love them.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 5:29 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• It only against the law if charges get pressed. Otherwise the assumption is that its approved of.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:29 AM on Dec. 3, 2010