workout for overweight pregnancy?

okay so i just found out that I'm pregnant. I'm probably about 40 pounds overweight. what should i do? i wanted to loose weight before i got pregnant again but its too late for that now. any advice?

jak89

Asked by jak89 at 1:39 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• It is not too late to start! So do not just give in. Go to your local library and rent "What to expect when your expecting", it has good types for early exercising and later exercising. Plus ways to eat healthy, your baby eats what you eat. And pretty much everything else you need to know about pregnancy and delivery.
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 1:47 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Have you been exercising since before you were pregnant? If not, you need to get your doctor's clearance. Swimming and walking are generally considered safe during pregnancy. Listen to your body, keep lost of water and snacks handy, and if you get at all light headed, STOP!! Try to keep your weight gain around 15 lbs (or follow the advice of your midwife/doctor).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:42 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I was worried about the same thing with my second pregnancy. She told me as long as I'm NOT dieting, but losing weight by eating right and exercising that my pregnancy would be fine. So I used the Denise Austin Pregnancy Workout DVD. It has a 20 minute cardio session with weight training for 1st / 2nd trimester, weight training for 3rd trimester, and a post pregnancy workout too. I didn't loose any weight but I was able to pretty much maintain it. I only gained 12 lbs, but I was/am much more overweight than you.
    liz.1986

Answer by liz.1986 at 2:42 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I was in the same situation the doctor recommended walking and monitoring heart rate so not to over do it. Congratulations on baby news.
    mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 11:01 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Walking!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:04 AM on Jan. 7, 2011