Do you think that thinking about pain can cause you to feel it?

For example, if you're remembering the pain felt from something like a broken bone, do you think it's possible to feel some pain in that area because you were thinking too hard about it? Or if you're worried about a health issue (like if you're stressing over a pap smear with a new doctor/NP, or giving birth and tearing, etc.), do you think that can cause you to feel like you're in pain or feeling uncomfortable in the area you were thinking about? Sorry if this isn't making much sense! Let me know if it isn't and when I get on here tomorrow I'll explain better lol. My brain is going to sleep, now.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 2:09 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Health

• Yes, in the same way that finding a distraction from pain can make it less intense. Our thoughts are very powerful.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 2:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Kind of? I'm very pyschosomatic like if I think I'm pregnant I will definitely start having symptoms, like geez I am urinating a lot more than usual (doubt it had anything to do with the two bottles of water I drank), or I do feel a little sleepy lately etc. if I have a headache and I dwell on it the headache will become worse. I've never really felt the pain of labor after the fact. I remember it was horrible but I don't think I could feel it right now just by focusing on it. All of these are just examples of course.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 2:15 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Pain comes from our brains telling us were hurt, so I think you can feel pain if your thinking about it cause everything stems from our brains telling our bodies certain things.

nowmommyof2

Answer by nowmommyof2 at 3:54 AM on Dec. 3, 2010