The Don't ask don't tell policy?

I do not know much about it's status because I am not political and I do not hate or discriminate against gay people but I think it should stay because there are some people who are in the army (I'm sure) who are super untolerate of gay people. And it would be unfair if some one got hurt because some one asked and they told. There probably should be one about religion too since religion is also very touchy.

What is your opinion?

AbsoluteSelf

Asked by AbsoluteSelf at 2:10 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yeah, the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy is really the most fair and safest compromise between a conservative military and the liberal civilian sector. It isn't the same as say, allowing blacks or women to serve. Women and men naturally separate into separate berthings onboard a ship, and racism is just another thing that must be contained and controlled and not tolerated. But how can you protect service members from feelings of sexual vulnerability when its within the command, sleeping in the next bunk? If a gay man is "out and proud" as it were, who can protect him from being accused of sexual impropriety or worse? It would be the same as mixing men and women in sleeping quarters and having open, unisex showers and bathrooms.
    Joylynn77

Answer by Joylynn77 at 2:33 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I don't care if someone is gay or not. I don't see why they think they have to proclaim that shit to the world. You don't see me running around saying, "I'm straight!!!" The gay people are the ones making this a big deal, not everyone else. They have the same rights as the straight people in the military. There's no reason to get pissy just because they can't make out with their other's or whatnot.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 2:19 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• So bigotry should continue because it's easier?
    Segregations hould have continues too because that was easier... ?
    You are saying to your service men and women that if you are gay, we do not want you as a country. We don't want your service, we don't want your sacrifice, and your personal life is allowed to disgust others, and that is okay.

IT IS NOT OKAY.
    Gay people have just as much right to serve their country... and nothing would change. There are already gay people serving int he military, the only thing that would change is the fact they can talk about their partner, have their partner come to the hospital if neccessary...

British military wife here, hubby is serving with many gay people, and look, the world hasn't ended. People cope.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 2:51 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• My husband is in the Navy, we live on a overseas military base and I know of many gay people here. Honestly, it would only change for those select few who feel they have to express their orientation to the world. Either way, you are going to have people who don't like homosexuals, and since often you already know who is gay and who isn't (obviously not always) there is always going to be a worry. The thing I always worry about when this topic comes up is boot camp and such. If they repeal will they seperate showers? They seperate for men and women, wouldn't you think they would need to for gay and straight? And then there will be more calls of protest. I don't know, I am just glad I don't have to deal in politics, lol.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 2:48 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• It's looking more like a morale issue with the enlisted. I say no, personally, but civilly if they are up for it they can.
    Malapertinent

Answer by Malapertinent at 8:53 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I think it should stay. Not everyone is accepting of "gay" people and it protects them from being hurt. Also, straight people don't want to see people sleeping in the same bunk together or kissing in the bunk. If they were having relationship problems they would be distracted from their duties. Being distracted in the military can lead to not only the death of person or persons in the relationship, but also the entire unit.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 9:41 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Well, being an Army wife, I'd have to say keep it the way it is (Don't ask Don't tell). I have nothing against people who are gay or lesbian! It's just that if they were to come out and say they were gay or lesbian then some people would treat them differently and the military would then have to separate the living arrangements during deployments, because a straight male would not want to be taking a shower or sleep near another male who is gay. I know some people are silly like that, but that's how our society is and will be for years to come. Hopefully or children won't have the same homophobic feelings.
    luvmybgtwins

Answer by luvmybgtwins at 10:16 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I agree it should stay as is. There are people uncomfortable with it and while I understand that it's "only 1/3" of the military that's a HUGE chunk of the military.

We DO NOT NEED our men and women having their lives put in jepordy because someone doesn't agree with their sexuality or because of grudges over sexuality.

Not to mention the amount of men who said they would re-enlist if the don't ask don't tell was repealed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• The military will rewrite legal codes to deal with intolerance. There are concerns (40%-60%) within deployed/combat troops surveyed... These concerns are being worked out. Repeal will happen. In time.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:02 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

Answer by SaraP1989 11 hours
    ------------------------------------------
    You say "the gay people are the ones making this a big deal,not everyone else"? WHere have you been? Millions of straight people see DADT a civil rights issue and object to telling gays they are not allowed in the military if they are gay and that the only way they can stay in is if they "don't tell". It is disgusting.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 3, 2010