will you visit? Creationism-themed amusement park

how many of you will take your family on a vacation to this park....how many of you won't? why

Creationism-themed amusement park heading to Northern Kentucky, will have full-size Noah's Ark

By Nina Mandell
Daily News Staff Writer

Thursday, December 2nd 2010, 6:25 PM
The Ark Encounter amusement park will be the biggest Bible-themed amusement park in America.
Ark Encounter

Disney World, meet Sunday School.

A creationism-themed amusement park is coming to Kentucky in 2014, the state's governor Steve Beshear announced on Wednesday.

The park, which Kentucky expects to draw more than a million visitors each year, is projected to cost $150 million, the Louisville Courier-Journal reported.

"Make no mistake about it," Beshear said, according to the paper. "This is a huge deal."

The amusement park will include a 500-foot-long wooden replica of Noah’s Ark complete with live animals, according to the project's website.

"We are constructing a full-scale, all-wood ark based on the dimensions provided in the Bible (Genesis 6), using the long cubit, and in accordance with sound established nautical engineering practices of the era," wrote Ark Encounters, one of the groups behind the project.

The ark is a collaboration between Ark Encounters LLC, a for-profit company, and a non-profit company, Answers in Genesis, which runs the Creation Museum — a museum that educates children about the Bible through interactive exhibits in Petersburg, KY.

The park also plans on having a Walled City, Tower of Babel, "first-century Middle Eastern village", a journey in history and a petting zoo.

While Beshear and other local politicians are convinced the park will float through any regulatory battles, some are questioning whether the millions in tax breaks that the group will receive for tourism violates the separation between church and state.

But those concerns didn’t seem to temper the excitement of Beshear who said the ark would bring at least a cover from the rough economy — the creators of the park expect it will bring 900 jobs to the area.

"There's nothing that's even remotely, unconstitutional about a for-profit organization coming in and investing a $150 million to create jobs in Kentucky and bring tourism to Kentucky," he said.

If tax breaks from the state aren't enough, the theme park also has a place on its website where people can donate money to help build the ark — and everything surrounding it.

And it already has the complete support of its future home, Grant County, Kentucky where a local county judge-executive told reporters that he was thrilled to welcome the ark.

"I think this project accentuates the faith of the people and the values of the people in Grant County tremendously," he told the Courier-Journal.

While it will be the biggest, the amusement park isn't the first Bible-related park. The Holy Land Experience theme park in Orlando, Florida gives visitors the chance to participate in a mock-Last Supper, visit a replica of the caves where the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered, watch a variety of Christian movies and more.

A proposal for a similar park in 2007, Bible Park USA, faced fierce opposition in nearby Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

nmandell@nydailynews.com

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/12/02/2010-12-02_creationismthemed_amusment_park_heading_to_northern_kentucky_will_have_fullsize_.html#ixzz172K915lc

Aasiyah

Asked by Aasiyah at 3:47 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Religious Debate

• No, because I don't believe that way.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:12 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Since it's a creationist park, I'm thinking that it will be like the other one which displays dinosaurs living along side humans. So, those types of parks I would not attend. I would however visit a historical village, like shamamax said.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 8:11 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I wouldn't go, not my thing, but I don't have a problem with it being built.

I do have issues with the $35,000,000+ in tax breaks, credits and incentives they are being given. The few permanent jobs @ minimum wage that this park will create doesn't justify passing on that kind of monies. No government entity can afford it, besides if they aren't putting money into local tax base to cover the effects and drains they will put on local systems, who will, the local property owners?

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 9:45 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Nope.   It's a waste of time and money.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:41 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Those of you that aren't going, good. That will make it less crowded for the rest of us!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:33 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Oh my goodness!!! I want to go now! That sounds bouncingabsolutely amazing!

Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 10:08 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I've been wanting to go to the Creation Museum for a long time, and this just makes me want to go more!!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Um...no.

Disney's better at telling fairytales...and the Natural History Museum is better at teaching science.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:54 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I've been to the Creation Museum that is close to the location of the new park - it's being built by the same religious group. I will not be bringing my kids to either place.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:17 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• We are not amusement park people-never even taken the kids to Disney. But even if we were, this would not be my "thing". We are Christians but do not fit any particular Christian mold so it would be something I would want to preview first to make sure I would not spend my whole vacation saying "well, I don't agree with that".... sounds like too much work to me!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:13 AM on Dec. 3, 2010