How Do I Potty Train My 2 Year Old?

I bought my daughter a potty and she's kind of afraid to go potty in it but she sets on and I dont know how to get her to do the potty? I wanted to buy her elmo's potty training video but I dont know if it will help her or not. what do I do?

schavez78580

Asked by schavez78580 at 4:12 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't give up put her on the potty and number of times a day and show her she have big girl undies if she she can go pee on this potty bring her in the bathroom with you EVERYTIME and show her that this is how momma goes potty and she needs to be a big girl and wear big girl undies like you. She may not be ready just yet she will let you know when the time is right.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 5:09 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Kids will only potty train when they are ready themselves to use the potty. Until then its mostly you taking your kid to the potty every 30 min to "try" to go potty, all day long. The hardest one to accomplish is the poop, for some reason most of them do not like to poop on the potty. What I did was I took my daughter to the potty every 30 min and read her a book while she sat on the potty sometimes she went sometimes she didn't. If you want you can reward with small piece of candy (jelly bean, gummy bear, M&M etc) some people don't like doing this due to "health reasons" but I see nothing wrong with it, your rewarding good behavior. Just remember to brush their teeth before bed :)
    OkiMama618

Answer by OkiMama618 at 5:09 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• You have to see if she is ready before you start potty training her. If she isn't physically & emotionally ready, it will just take longer & be frustrating for both of you. Here are the American Academy of Pediatrics guidelines for determining if your child is ready:

http://www.aap.org/publiced/BR_ToiletTrain.htm
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:19 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Google "toilet training readiness' and you will see some good info.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:11 AM on Dec. 3, 2010