When clearing out the baby clutter, is it worth it to take clothes, toys, strollers, etc. to a resale shop, or not worth the hassle?

After saving just about everything my son ever used for the last six years, I'm now pretty confident that I'm not having another baby. And with winter coming, I'd finally like to park in my garage. Charities such as Goodwill and The Salvation Army won't pick up until well after the new year, and women's shelters and crisis nurseries would love to take the items, but again not until well after the new year. Everything is in great condition, clothes mostly from Old Navy and Children's Place with some Wal-mart items in the mix. I just don't want to sort through everything, repack it, haul it to a resale shop, and get little to nothing for it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Michellem1972

Asked by Michellem1972 at 4:24 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• I def believe in resale shop!! Whats the alternative...trash? While you will not get much out of it this way it may really help someone else. I come from a poor family with 5 kids...so when i had my son i knew i would not get any help from my family. Luckily, my in-laws are able to help quite a bit. My little sister, however had her son at 18 and has no one to help with the expenses and she didnt even have a crib til she found one at a resale shop when her son was 6 months old!! Some really are good mothers but just cannot afford brand new items!
    m0_mommy

Answer by m0_mommy at 5:02 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I agree with m0 mommy. resale is the way to go. Just load it up and drop it off. There are a lot of families in need out there.
    OkiMama618

Answer by OkiMama618 at 5:20 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• If you don't want to go through the hassel of taking it to the resale store. Just donate it . There are several places in my area that come to your house and get it. I'm sure there are some in your area.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 6:52 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I first do the resale shop and if they don't want it they already have a charity that they can keep it for. It is a win-win.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 7:44 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I would donate it - you get a nice tax deduction (get a receipt) and are helping people that really need it.

Resale shops typically only take certain items and they don't pay much. IMO, not worth the hassle. (Unless you need the money - then probably worth the effort.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:31 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Depends on the store and how much they pay, I would say. I keep a tab running from what I bring in at the local store here. I give things that the store isn't currently accepting to my neighbor's grandson and I am saving stuff for my BIL whose wife is pregnant.
    Malapertinent

Answer by Malapertinent at 8:49 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I donate it to friends who really can use them. Other wise I donate to a local domestic violence shelter. I make sure they are clean, on hangers, and no stains. I clean up all the toys and make sure all the parts are in solid working order. I call it "gentley used." Of course if it isn't gentley used then I ask friends if they would like it and if not I decide from there. Some things have to make their way to the recycling bin. Too worn for anyone. But if it can be saved, I will find a way.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:56 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• If you are semi up to driving it to a resale shop just bag it up and drive it to the Goodwill or Salvation Army. We always donate to them or some other charity (we were lucky to live in Chicago where different veterans groups randomly drove around to pick up donations every month).
    I just went shopping at the Goodwill and found great deals for my older kids but for babies they had exactly 1 rack that was about 5 feet long. And that was for newborn-24 months. There was nothing. It would have been nice to find some pants for my 4mo. I plan to go through all the clothes the kids have outgrown and donate them there.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:02 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• If you need the money then it is worth it. For me I have 5 kids and I always donate everything they grow out of to mother and child centers, or other charity, someone else I find out that is having a giving heart baby and needs some things. I just would rather help someone who can't afford to get it on their own. I could always use the cash but the feeling of helping another mother I get more out of that.

Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 10:06 AM on Dec. 3, 2010