Would you consider me a bad mother if...........

I decided to let my kids play hookie from school today because its just too freak-en cold outside? Keep in mind my kids go to a Catholic school which means no buses, I have to drive them...

SN: I know I am a great mom so I am just curious to see others thoughts

SteelersChick

Asked by SteelersChick at 4:48 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It all depends on the reason you are allowing them to stay home cause it is cold out isn't good enough the kids will be inside all day. Is the real reason cause you don't want to bring them to school cause it is to cold out for you and you have to run out start the car buddle them up good load them in the car then unload them at school and then go home and go back out to get them load them in the car once again and then unload them again when you all get home. I don't think you would be a bad mom either way. But i don't know what state you live in, i live in VT and it's 12 degrees out i walk my DD to daycare and then I walk to work and then home and then back up the hill to daycare so when it's really cold out that is the last things i want to do is walk but I need money and i have to drop my DD off so i can go make money at work.
    So momma get up get dressed and bring the kiddies to school they might learn something :~)
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 5:02 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• The passing thought shows that you are human. Drinking coffee and seeking support from other women shows that you are smart. Going the extra bit to give your kids the education you feel best for them, despite loosing out on niceties like public transportation, shows how great a mom you truly are.

Well done, Mama!

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:14 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• If it was dangerous on the roads, i'd be staying... but it sounds like you're human, like the rest of us, and don't want to go out ! lol.

~poke~ come on, we all have to do it.. we all sulk about it... and we all grumble. You sound like a great mom.... you're honest !
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 5:19 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• ha....i have had this thought before, but then the thought of looking at them all day and listening to the fighting makes me take them everytime! I would say if you didnt take them to school because you were still drunk from the night before, that would make you a bad mom, or say if you lost the car gambling....lol but not bc its flipping freezing out!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 5:51 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• seriously one day won't hurt anything and the school won't be any the wiser to it. I've let my kids have a "sick" day, too. So what.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:29 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• if the roads are not safe stay home, otherwise i would take them, we dont have a bus to school either (our school is a 10min walk tops) but when its cold (like today, so gross) i just drive them. but you are not a bad mom for thinking that, i do when it is really cold, really hot, or i am really tired. yet they still go, and then i go home and chill out on the couch for a bit.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 6:46 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Do they want to go to school? If not - stay home! Everyone needs a day off now & then for whatever reason. But consider your decision - your kids will be home with you all day!!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:27 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• It depends really. When my dd was young there were people who took vacations two times a year for a week at a time. I was never able to take vacations and worked alot (single mom) so there were days here and there where we would play 'hookie" For me I think it made my DD feel like she was important too, not just work. One time her teacher called me and I told her honestly what I was doing and her response to me was "Good for you, I love that idea"
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 7:29 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Hard to answer. I personally wouldn't let my kids stay home due to cold weather. Mine go to Catholic school also. I drive them if the weather is really bad; otherwise, they walk (we live across the street). I've never heard of a private school that doesn't provide bus transportation.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 8:43 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• No harm no foul
    Malapertinent

Answer by Malapertinent at 8:47 AM on Dec. 3, 2010