My son DOES NOT want to TRY new foods and he is so often refusing the few he ate a couple of times

I am in much of a trouble. His cheese, meats, eggs, veggies are nearly 99% times untouched. He can't break himself into it. He calls all dirt and cries after getting it on his fingertips. He's only 21 mos. Spoon does not work between the two of us anymore, he himself is playing with it on the other hand.
Any special reciepies for those food products to be more of dry-alike-consistency when served?

kujus04

Asked by kujus04 at 6:37 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had a picky eater too and I disagree with making kids eat food they really hate. If he's only 21 months old, get him some children's nutrition drink so you can feel OK that he's getting enough calories/nutrition. But what does he like to eat?

It does sound like it is the texture of the food on his hands that is making him unhappy and preventing him from eating

Talk to your pediatrician. He or she may have some tips for dealing with a picky eater.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:15 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• he'll eat when he gets hungry enough, don't give in to his fussiness
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:38 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I agree with Zoey-he will he when he gets ready.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 6:46 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I would have to agree with Zoey. don't give in, if he doesn't eat lunch he will be hungry when dinner comes around. don't let him snack unless its left overs from the lunch he never touched. sooner or later he will be hungry enough to eat what you put on his plate. If he goes to bed hungry he will only learn that you mean business and if he whines that night for food, take his dinner out of the fridge reheat and offer him that. :) consistency is the only way to beat this.
    OkiMama618

Answer by OkiMama618 at 7:02 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• He likes peas (frozen and microwaved, those from can are toooo soft), bread, apples, banana. He ate winner a couple of times, eggs in a pancake, bacon, but not real much variety. All deli products are mostly unknown to him still. When veggies are mixed, he picks up peas and that's it. Shapes do not fascinate him.
    kujus04

Comment by kujus04 (original poster) at 7:22 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• He is almost 2 and from what kujus is describing its not food that he doesn't like its food that is new to him. I live in Japan right now and have a 3 year old that was a picky eater, so yes she did go hungry from time to time till she caved and ate what was on her plate, i couldn't just keep eating bland food at home or running to McDonald's to satisfy my daughter there is to much good food to try out in this world and your kid is going to miss out on a lot of it if he keeps up this behavior and so will you because it will limit the restaurants you can go to and the new meals you can try at home.
    OkiMama618

Answer by OkiMama618 at 7:57 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I'm in the same situation w/ my 23 month old. He eats very little variety, he loves things one day and spits them out the next. It's so frustrating and it makes you feel like you're starving your kid! Right now, he only wants Trix cereal...yeah, real healthy. I just can't bring myself to hold out until he eats something better for him! Let's hope it's just a stage and it will end soon!
    amyb99

Answer by amyb99 at 11:01 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• be stubborn. Youre the parent and you know whats best for him. Tell him he can't get up until he takes 3 bites. When i tell my son that, he may throw a fit for 10 minutes, but he realizes I won't back down. A child doesn't get to decide what's best for them when it comes to food or diet. Good eating habits are something you have to teach. Just keep in mind the age group. Liek telling a toddler you will sit there untill yoru plate in clean prolly won't work. It's too overwhelming for them. But the 3 bites rule( on anything my son doesnt want to try) works really well for him. he's going to be 3 this month n that rule has worked the past... 4-6 months?
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 2:17 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• My son is 23 mths old at the moment and he is doing this exact thing. However 4 months ago he ate everything you put in front of him. Well he is on the go so much and wants to play I finally found a way for him to eat. If I feed him when he is out of his highchair he will eat. I realize some mothers wont do this but this has worked for me. I will let him walk around and I will have his plate and when he wants bites of food he will come to me. By doing this he eats everything we eat.
    you just have to read your child and see what he or she is doing and why they may not be eating. Or they get tired of the same things. Each family has their own way of doing things.
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 8:55 AM on Dec. 6, 2010