WHy do you think ORGANIC food is more expensive than non?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 7:28 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Food & Drink

• do to lack of pesticides, the bugs get more of them, so there's fewer of them to sell, so they have to make up the difference in quantity in price.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:30 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• It cost more because people will pay it. When people begin to expect organic, the price will go down. More and more are doing organica and some products are becoming more affordable.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:31 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• because one says organic and the other does not.
    prissysayshi

Answer by prissysayshi at 7:33 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• ...there are organic pesticides that farmers and gardeners use - like peppermint oil for example

sugahmamma

Comment by sugahmamma (original poster) at 7:38 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

***
    Yet those "organic pesticides" cost a lot more money because they are bought in smaller quantities than traditional pesticides bought in bulk, and that adds to the cost (whic IMO is unnecessary) of these organic foods. It's like buying designer clothes versus mid-range priced clothes (NOT cheap like Walmart), can people REALLY tell the difference, when comparing unpackaged, prepared organic food, and non organic?!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:53 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Because to be certified organic, farmers have to have their pastures pesticide-free for a certain number of years. Additionally, raising anything organic is more labor intensive and expensive. Due to the lack of pesticides, the acreage devoted to organics is lower as well, it's hard to manage a "super farm" organically. The supply is lower, they have to be handled separate from the non-organics .... the short answer is because it costs more to produce :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:24 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Oops - I meant "lack of commercial pesticides," organic farmers have natural remedies.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:25 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• can people REALLY tell the difference, when comparing unpackaged, prepared organic food, and non organic?!

YES! The taste is better everytime, so to me that is better quality. Can I feel the affects of switching - not really but I can definately see it, and I know its an investment in my fututre health.

I dont think its like buying designer close/non at all. When you compare those things your internal health doesnt change and you dont have to cease buying on brand of clothing b/c the other is infected. But I understand your point and I feel you b/c I was once thinking like that.
    sugahmamma

Comment by sugahmamma (original poster) at 8:32 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

They aren't very effective. And the yield for organic is smaller.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:57 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Generally, yes.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:58 AM on Dec. 3, 2010