New baby nr 2 addition. First days? Daily routine?

So, I am due in a month. We have a toddler <2 yrs. Are still unsure about somebody helping us on the Big day/night, not to mention later. There are basicly the two of us only plus our little boy. He is helpful but not 'independant', likes to do all I do, but when it comes to play alone time, it comes so hard to him and does not last long - 15 mins max. Here it comes soon. Family we dreamed about, increased by one. I have heard the first 2 mos are real hard. Later probably smoother considering little experince. Could anyone prepare me to that?

kujus04

Asked by kujus04 at 7:34 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• 15 minutes is a good attention span for a little one. The thing that help me out was to really play and have fun with my DD for about 20 minutes right before it was time to feed the baby. That way, she just had tons of my attention, then I would transistion her to something quiet, or a snack, maybe some TV or pull a box of toys out. Then I could have the time to nurse the baby. The box of toys really helps if you can pack up some of his toys and swap them out every few days, that way there is always something new for him to do.

You can also wear baby #2. That way you can spend time with your first and the 2nd will be right there, pretty content and you will have your arms free.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 7:42 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I have a son who just turned 2, and an almost 5 month old (plus 3 older ones). With Christmas around the corner, he'll have lots of new stuff to play with. I stocked up on inexpensive stuff of of craigslist to pull out when I needed a few minutes with the baby. If you can hire a highschooler to come to the house and just hold the baby for a little while in the afternoons, it would give you some uninterrupted time with your toddler - which he will need! I am glad I worked hard at getting my little one to sleep in her crib early on, that meant then and now means that I have all her naptimes with my toddler, except the one they take together (that's a lifesaver too!). He adjusted amazingly well to having another little one.

Answer by missanc at 9:07 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• My daughter was 10 months old when I found out I was pregnant with my next child. I already had a 3 yr old too. It is just a matter of making time for each one. Getting a sling to carry the new baby in is helpful too. I have found with my children also that they really like to help with the baby, for example, brining you diapers, or wipes, things like that. Makes them feel more included. Going from one to two was the hardest transition for us because your first is used to being an only child, but they do adjust very well. I am now expecting my fifth child, so if you have any questions feel free to message me:)
    elffyefli

Answer by elffyefli at 9:28 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• If it's possible for you to afford someone to come into the home to help you for the first month or so I'd say go for it! Your son is going to be demanding he is not old enough to understand what is going on around him when the baby comes home. You will be very tierd, *&* hubby to. If you have a family member you both trust and can take the time to stay with you that's the ultimate . Other idea's are hiring a home health aid, those are hard to feel out so this is something that takes a little time on your part before the baby is born. Best of luck to you & your family! *&* CONGRATS~
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 9:55 AM on Dec. 3, 2010