Senate bill says its illegal to grow your own garden????

Here is the link to a video on youtube. You ladies let me know your opinions. Personally I find this really upsetting and I think its time we start fighting back, b/c things like this ruin our future freedom.

Let me know if you have any more info or updates on this subject.

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 7:36 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• yeah good luck enforcing it, though. I can't see it being very plausible or possible.

esp given how easy it would be to hide or be overlooked.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:37 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• people who live in remote or hard to reach areas such as: high rises, hilltop homes or out in the middle of nowhere or near a forested area and farmers would be the most likely to get away with having a garden. Who'd see them or even know about em. Plus those richer people would probly pay for the person to look the other way.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:43 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Zoeyis I agree, but how can WE the PPL make SURE it doesnt get passed. And trust me, if it comes to this (and it probably will) I will be one of the ones hiding my crops, lol! Its sad though
    sugahmamma

Comment by sugahmamma (original poster) at 7:51 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• And thus begins the sign of the times.
    rollinbuggy

Answer by rollinbuggy at 7:52 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Thanks anon. Do you have anymore infor about it?
    sugahmamma

Comment by sugahmamma (original poster) at 8:16 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-510

Nothing making it illegal per-say but it has the potential to bury the independent/farmers market supplier in red tape. They make it all sound so "it's for your safety" but way too much bureaucracy to be controllable. it places a lot of burden on the EPA, which most of the new Republicans have already said they plan to dismantle, so may be a matter of all bark no bite..

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 8:20 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• This bill means anything they want it to, just like all the other bills they have passed.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:39 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• emptynstr and itsmesteph11 I totally agree.
    ^^^^thanx for the link
    sugahmamma

Comment by sugahmamma (original poster) at 8:43 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I would think that if they wanted to enforce it they wouldn't have a hard time of it. Everything if done by GPS. You can view your house online if you want to. All they would have to do is create another department that is responsible for viewing backyards via satellite and voila! Not that I think that this is going to happen, but the government certainly has the capabilities to do so if they desire. That's why 'slippery slope' bills are so dangerous.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:19 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• The Senate bill does not make growing your own garden illegal if all you plan to do is eat the produce yourself. If you intend to sell, trade, or barter, you will have to fill out a lot of paperwork and pay fees. As a previous answer said, it's to help make the food traceable in case of contamination.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:39 AM on Dec. 3, 2010