Irregular sleep habits.

Any suggestions out there to women that are currently or have worked graveyard shifts and found it very difficult to sleep? I have been on this shift all year and get very little sleep. I have tried over the counter sleeping pills, melatonin with no luck in achieving my REM sleep.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Health

• I use to work the graveyard shift, boy can it suck!!! I have horrible sleep patterns. I feel your pain. I did find one thing that helped...I found it at Walgreen's, I'm sorry to say I can't remember the exact name but I want to say it was "Midnite".....it was a kind of homeopathic type sleep aide, that could be taken at any time. It was a chew-able, a cherry mint i think. I want to say it had chamomile in it.  I found  a lot of the other sleeps aides made me feel groggy if i didn't get enough sleep, or other side effects. It wasn't addictive either. With this one I didn't feel any, and it isn't to put you to sleep, but more that it helped me relax to fall asleep. I am sorry I can't remember if that is the actual name of it, but i do remember that I got it at Walgreen's.Good Luck

Nonie73

Answer by Nonie73 at 8:21 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Thanks Nonie73. I think I have heard of it. I will look for it tonight when I go to Walmart.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:25 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Graveyard is just not a natural shift to work for the body. You may want to try Melatonin (natural) and no caffeine the last few hours prior to bed. Keep tv off and room dark.
    Malapertinent

Answer by Malapertinent at 8:38 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I have my room dark and have used Melatonin for years now. I have my cell phone on silent and I drink my coffee before I go to work. I did read online that I may need more sunlight.
    Thanks for your response Malapertinent. I appreciate any and all suggestions.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:52 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Your welcome and I hope it helps, or you find something that does. It sucks when you can't get enough sleep :(
    Nonie73

Answer by Nonie73 at 10:53 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• have a cup of sleepytime tea before bed. Celestial seasoning's makes it. Also, have you tried Valerian root? It's natural/herbal and helps with sleep. i work the midnight shift too, so i feel your pain.
    inkydorei

Answer by inkydorei at 10:08 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Thank you ladies for your input. All suggestions are greatly appreciated. Inkydorei I will look for the Valerian root and try the sleepytime tea. I was just at Walmart and they were out of the Midnight sleep aid that was suggested to me in a previous comment. All of this information really helps.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:58 AM on Dec. 4, 2010