9.8%?

Why isn't the unemployment rate going down? I thought the recession was over. For those of you who say jobs are a lagging indicator, just how long will they lag?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 8:35 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Several years.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:40 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• They'll lag till Obama is out office, and then they can be a sign of recession again.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 8:51 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• It was 10.6% in 1982...we'll survive

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:09 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I'm not expecting things to get better any time soon. I think the soonest we will see UE get even close to what it was before (probably not even that low) would be 2014. JMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:09 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• It was 10.6% in 1982...we'll survive

We had Reagan in office. Survival was much easier.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:14 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Of course we will survive, we always do. There is the small fact that unemployment should be showing signs of going DOWN and instead it is going up. That's not a sign of the economy getting better. There are to many other factors showing this is not just lagging jobs numbers.
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 9:22 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Reagan put us at 10.6 percent
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:29 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• the unemployment rate isnt going anywhere any time soon. I just dont believe it will b/c the dollar is getting weaker and although we get a small tax break for hiring ppl, its still too expensive for small business owners - speaking from my own experience. And with that being said, most jobs are only offering minimum wage give or take a dollar or two. Thats not a big difference from the unemployment checks from what I understand.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 9:41 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• sugahmamma is right. It isn't going to get better anytime soon. I can certainly relate to the expenses for small business owners.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:14 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• It was 15% here, and last I heard, it's 14.1% now. It's going to be a very long time before it's under control here because until the rest of the country stabilizes, there won't be much tourism to fuel our economy.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:24 AM on Dec. 3, 2010