Being the majority (for Christians)

How often in your daily life are you in a situation where you know you are grossly outnumbered by people who practice either a different religion or no religion, and where they (the other people surrounding you) automatically assume you are not a Christian and speak to you in a manner that requires you to either dodge their questions or pretend you're not a Christian to fit in and avoid an awkward (or potentially threatening) situation?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:41 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It probably happens to me about 3 or 4 times a day.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 8:44 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• If you believe that the world is perfect it's going to be a long time before you see it's "not"
    nothing personal, but it's the way of life.
    The whole world goes through this
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

•  I'm thinking unless your a Christian living in the middle east they don't really have occasion to feel this way. But so many lack the ability to look at things from another persons view.... so this will probably fall on deaf ears ;o(

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:51 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I do not....I live smack in the middle of the Bible belt...it is pretty rare to come across a person who does not at least CLAIM to be a Christian or who were raised in a Christian church.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:09 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I live in the southern part of the U.S. where the majority of the people do not consider Catholics to be Christian, and one of the common questions when meeting or getting to know someone is, "Where do you go to church?" So, it happens quite a bit, but I don't pretend to be something I'm not in order to fit in....it does get awkward sometimes, though.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:19 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I am a Christian (Catholic) who works in the biomedical research field with both physicians and PhDs. Most of my co-workers are atheist and many are very vocal about the idiocracy they perceive faith to be. It has been assumed numerous times that I am also an atheist and that I agree people who believe in God are ignorant, stupid, and delusional. It's not fun.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 10:02 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Being a SAHM living in a new city, I don't exactly hang out with a lot of people so I don't have this issue. Three years ago, however, I was studying religious history in college and I was the only Christian in most of my classes. I never felt the need to "hide" it though or "fit in." If other people can't except me then they aren't worth my time. I didn't mind hearing their point of view, or discussing similarities/differences in our beliefs, but there was an a lot of bashing too. Like I could be held personally responsible for every wrong thing any Christian or church ever did, just because I was a part of the faith. Some of the things I heard said about me and my faith in general in that setting was very hurtful, but I am strong and don't need their approval.

asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 10:08 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I'm an unorthodox Christian, so I'm around people who believe differently than me all the time. I have to be careful how I answer questions if I don't want to have to go into some deep discussion about how I'm wrong for not believing the "right' way. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:17 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• i live in the Bible belt so most ppl assume (correctly) that im Christian...what kinda Christian depends on them (but is usually incorrect). right now im in college and most of them think along the same lines as me. so i really never face any opposition in real life, mainly b/c im Christian "enough" to get by the questions.

i face no threats or awkward situations in my daily life.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:51 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• People often assume I many things other than what I am.
    Excluding religion for a moment, I am often mistook for being Hispanic or Half black. I am not offended
    Being very frugal people often mistake our family for being poor. I am not offended
    Being somewhat of a free spirit and a bit of a hippie, I am mistaken for being a Liberal. I am not offended.
    Because we tend to be generous, we are often mistaken for being a pushover. I am not offended
    Make your choices, then live with them, and stop letting things and people get to you to the point of being offended.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:12 AM on Dec. 3, 2010