My son is really shy what can I do ?

My son is really shy he is bouncing off the walls at home with his little brother all day long but when he gets to school he is shy and the teacher says he does not really talk to her much. He has always been shy but I thought with two years of preschool he would come out the shy stage a little bit by the time he hit kindergarten any advice ladies ?

Mom2lovingboys

Asked by Mom2lovingboys at 8:52 AM on Dec. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You can just encourage him when you are out to introduce himself to other kids(like at the store or park, maybe school functions) My daughter was very shy also, she is in 2nd grade now and talks to everyone, and is friends with everyone. I think she got better when she hit the end of Kindergarten. She also did 2 yrs of preschool. I never pushed her, but if we were at the park and saw another kid I would tell her that maybe that kid would want to play and to go introduce herself, sometime she did, sometimes she didnt.
    endurablemist

Answer by endurablemist at 9:14 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• How old is he? have you looked into cub scouts? My son was the same way and cub scouts totally changed him. By the end of the year he was in the talent show with two friends. He is more confident and has no problems with talking other other most of the time.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 12:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• He is six years old
    Mom2lovingboys

Comment by Mom2lovingboys (original poster) at 12:50 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Oh my goodness. How hard this must be to watch him go through. Is he always this shy or just when you are not around? I don't know why I ask you these questions, I cannot think of anything to do to try to get him to be more outgoing. I will give you a bump though. Good luck to you and to your little one.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:19 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• My daughter was just like that in school. However, as soon as she found one classmate she had interests in common with, it changed her rather quickly. He needs to find a friend at school that have a common interest.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• my son was the same way still is at times he will grow out of it just let him come out of it at his own pace just let him know you love him every day and he will come around
    mary40407

Answer by mary40407 at 11:47 PM on Dec. 4, 2010