FOOD CRAVING....

I am ADDICTED to eating ice! I can't stop! I am 8 mo. and eat it like its going out of style, almost like smoking. I even go a couple times a day and drive to a local gas station that has "crunchy" ice, about to go again. Is it bad or a sign of something?

itsaboy1208

Asked by itsaboy1208 at 2:12 AM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I'm not saying it's not possible that you just like ice, but please at least have your hemoglobin checked. It's a simple finger prick, they probably already did it once early in your pregnancy. The Mayo Clinic says that half of all pregnant women are iron deficient. There's something called pica, which causes people to chew odd things like ice and paper, some people even eat dirt (though that's pretty extreme). Pica is most commonly linked to anemia, but can also be the result of some emotional problems, like stress. Try doing a web search on chewing ice, you'll get lots of info saying what I've said.

When anemia is ignored, mom's often need to have a tranfusion during labor, and that scares the crap out of me! I'd hate to hear later that you had a bad experience because I wasn't bitchy enough in trying to get my point across. :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:05 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• nope a lot of people much ice my mother is just as addicted she prefers sonic ice
    akashaismyworld

Answer by akashaismyworld at 2:19 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Actually, it's a sign of an iron deficiency. It may just be a weird craving for you, but chewing ice is EXTREMELY common for people with low iron, and is especially popular among pregnant women. Tell your doc about it, s/he may want to check your hemoglobin and start you on an iron supplement (if you don't want to take a pill for this, there are plenty of dietary things you can do).

I'm a lifelong ice chewer, and low iron is the cause. It had gone away for awhile, but came back pretty strongly towards the end of my pregnancy. My hemoglobin was super low; the nurses were asking me, "Aren't you tired?" Well of course I was tired, I was pregnant, wasn't I supposed to be? Apparently, not THAT tired. I started taking a supplement, and I not only stopped needing ice but had way more energy.

Don't wait too long to have it checked, grinding ice is bad for your teeth (yup, I've done some damage there, too!).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Hmmm...that last answer was mine, I must have clicked the anonymous box! If you have any questions about the other things you can do to bmp up your iron, let me know, I'll dig out the sheet my OB gave me.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:55 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• UMM i love the sonic ice., I eat a lot of ICE too, I don't have low iron or anything it's just something I rerally really crave when pregnant,
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 3:04 AM on Nov. 6, 2008